chapter 13 - the decision

the decision

As weeks passed George had to come up with a decision.

George stood outside Victoria's room, waiting for her to open it. George looked up meeting Victoria's eyes.

"George? What are you doing here?" Victoria looked at him, surprised.

"We need to talk." George replied. Victoria allowed him to enter her room. Flashbacks entered George's mind of the night. He shook it off completely.

"What's on your mind?" Victoria sat on her bed.

"It's hard to explain." George cracked his knuckles nervously, "I've been thinking a lot since you've gotten here."

Victoria cleared her throat.

"And I don't understand how I can love you after what you did to me." George glanced at Victoria, "You don't deserve it."

"I know." Victoria nodded,

"But I still love you is the thing and Katerina deserves better than that. She is the better option." George stated.

"So, you're choosing her?" Victoria's voice was soft.

"I can't." George said simply, "Because for as long as you are here, I will not be able to love her the way she deserves to be loved." George admitted. George's eyes glistened. He did not want to leave Katerina. But he couldn't change the way he felt about Victoria. She was his first everything. His first kiss. His first girlfriend. His first love.

George's heart ached.

"So it's me that you're choosing?" Victoria smiled softly. George nodded slowly. Victoria wrapped her arms around George. She finally could be in the arms of the man she loved. George held her. He felt cold.

Even as he held his first love in his arms, he felt disconnected.

+++

Katerina watched from her window as snow fell from the sky. Katerina held herself, thinking. For the past week she could feel things were off as time came closer towards the Yule Ball. There was something in George that wasn't there before.

Katerina looked down at her notebook, seeing the drawing of George. She smiled thinking back to that day.

It was the perfect day that she always wanted.

Suddenly a knock was heard. Katerina closed her notebook standing up and walked to the door.

Katerina opened it and looking back at her was George.

"Come in." Katerina allowed him to enter. She could feel the energy coming from George. She knew something was wrong.

George closed the door behind him.

Katerina crossed her arms, looking at him. Reading him.

"Katerina..." He whispered.

"George, what's wrong?" Katerina looked at him, worried.

George gulped not knowing if he could tell her his decision. He spent the entire walk over here trying to work up the courage. Trying to figure out what to say.

Katerina in that moment knew, she watched his body movements and the look in his eyes said it all.

"Oh god." Katerina gasped as her eyes began to water, "You're choosing her, aren't you?" Katerina said in disbelief.

"Please, let me explain." George grabbed Katerina's hands, " I never meant to hurt you this way." Katerina yanked her hands away. "No matter how much I like you. No matter how much I want to be with you." Katerina glared at George.