Su Su watched the two men arguing, she gobbled up a large gulp of rice. This argument was way too private for her to intrude. Second Lady Yan must have hated this and should try to mediate between them. Instead, Su Su saw her smiling slyly and occasionally fanning the flame.

Gosh, she wished to leave this table immediately.

Finally, General Yan stood up and stormed out of the room.

Second Lady Yan gasped and offered Su Su a cup of tea, "Oh, dear Su Su. I hope you forgive my son's rudeness,"

Su Su hovered her hand over her cup, denying her the courtesy. She stood up, "I don't blame him. General Yan made some points. If I were you, I would spend more time looking after your ill wife, "

Her father quickly urged her to sit back down, but Su Su didn't listen. She couldn't stand the idea of that woman being her mother-in-law. She should leave before she makes any obligation.

She bowed formally and left.

Her father gave her a stern talk later that night.

"Honestly, Su Su," her father asked with furrowed brows, "What is it this time? This is the third proposal you have ruined this year, "

Su Su clenched, it's better not recall how horrible those meetings went.

"I have been nothing but lenient with you. If you want to move to the city, fine. You want a reputable household. Here. General Yan didn't have much of an age difference with you. I don't see a problem here," her father ranted.

The general was fine... she guessed...It just...

"Have you not gotten over that man?"

Her father had nipped her in the bud. Su Su stared out the window, looking at the empty tree branch outside. It's still a long way until spring, and it won't blossom any time soon. She couldn't help but feel like it was taunting her.

Foolish. To be waiting for a man who she only met for a few days. He lifted her spirits with empty promises and shattered her heart completely. Every day she waxed and waned between hating him and loving him. It was the same exhaustion and cruelty as waiting for a dead tree to bloom.

"Second Lady Yan creeps me out," she admitted.

Her father tapped nervously on the table, "I admit she's a bit unusual,"

"She tried to hit me earlier," Su Su added and told her father about the exchange.

Her father got angry and stood up, "How could she treat you like this? I should-"

Su Su pulled him back. There's no point in fighting her, she would probably change the narrative to her suiting.

"Let's just leave in the morning, father,"

He sighed, "Alright then, whatever you say,"

If she had known better, she would have left immediately that night.

Su Su found herself back at Lady Yan's bed chambers. Despite going there once, she somehow remembered the layout of the room. With only a single candle illuminating the place, Su Su navigated it with ease.

Su Su looked down at the sleeping form of Lady Yan, her sweat-drenched furrows, and the shrill whimpering from her lips.

Oh, that poor woman.

Maybe she should do the kind thing and end Lady Yan's misery.

She had her fun anyway.

Su Su flicked her wrist and watched as Lady Yan's remaining life force escaped from her lips and into hers.