39

two years later.

for the past two years, nina had been living in la while ricky stayed in salt lake city. they each had taken turns visiting the place the other person was in, but the stay only lasted for a month, at most, before they were apart for another month.

they didn't know how this relationship would turn out; they always heard long distance relationships never work, but they pushed through every obstacle and they were doing well. when they were in different states, they would text each other a little 'good morning'  and at night they would facetime for at least an hour, always concluding the call with their countdown for the next time they were going to see each other.

by now, it had been a month since nina's last visit to salt lake city. while she was there she had time to catch up with everyone she'd been missing. she hung out with the cruz's and spent the night at their house for a couple nights. she got to hang out with ricky's parents when ricky was out doing work.

she also had time to spend with their friends. they were all doing well: carlos and seb were still going strong and got engaged a little over a year ago. ashlyn and kourtney had made their relationship official and are coming up on their two year anniversary. big red and gina had met their, now, boyfriends while they were out together at a drive-in movie and two guys had blasted their stereo before the movie; they were both annoyed and decided to knock on their windows, only to see that they were both looking back at them with that certain look that made butterflies grow inside them.

today, nina sat in the car with alice and elena, singing taylor swift songs with the stereo on max volume, probably disturbing everyone around them. alice and nina sang loudly as elena focused on driving, matching their energy at every red light.

"love story hits different every time," nina breathed out, leaning back into her seat as the closing instrumental played.

"hands down, one of my favourites from her whole discography," alice replied.

elena looked at the rear view mirror, seeing nina on her phone with her expression changed from when she was singing. "hey neens, you alright?" she asked.

the woman did a double take, making eye contact with the driver in the mirror before putting her phone down and leaning forward, "yea, yea, i'm fine." she smiled, "what song's next?"

"you good? you seem off," alice turned to face her. "who were you texting?"

"just ricky," she brushed off. "it's nothing."

alice and elena looked at each other with concern and secrecy at their friend's obvious sad and negative change.

"are you guys okay?" elena looked through the rearview mirror again. "he didn't say anything, did he?"

"no, of course not," answered quickly, "he was just supposed to come to la this weekend and he just said he was busy so he had to reschedule."

"i'm sorry neens."

"it's fine, it happens. it just sucks cause i haven't seen him in like a month. i wish we weren't long distance," her face dropped and she looked down at her fingers.

"when did he reschedule for?"

"i think in a week. it's not that long but it seems so far away."

"just think about how in a week you guys will be inseparable again."

"yea," she quietly said. "wait el, you missed the turn."

"oh," she replied, rather unphased, "it's okay, we could just take this turn."