Chapter 9 - Same

Shuichi POV

The entire time we were at the restaurant I couldn't even focus on enjoying it with my friends. I was so perplexed with the events that had occurred but then I asked one question...when I woke up...

...was Rantaro there?

Was Kokichi even there? 

It's probably just that I didn't notice if they were there after all of my other classmates were there as well, but this did appear as a doubted statement or even a question rather than a firm fact. Maki noticed that I was hung up in my thoughts but she didn't do a thing about it. I guess even she wanted to figure out what happened. After all, she was there when Rantaro brushed past me. I sighed. Such a simple thing is getting me so hooked up...What should I do? I looked up to see everyone smiling and chatting with each other. I smiled. Maybe I should just...relax? 

"But then you'll never find out what's up," Maki said from beside me.

"GAH!!" I yelped, jumping in my seat. It was too loud in the restaurant for anyone else to notice but Kaito, Kaede, Himiko, Tenko, and Miu did give me strange looks and teased me for it. But Maki looked strangely...how should I say it...

... worried?

"W-what do you mean? A-and how did you-"

"You were tense the entire time you were thinking but then you began to relax so I thought you gave up." She stated bluntly. 

"O-Oh w-well I wasn't going to just give up...after all, Rantaro is my best friend I can't give up on him," I said upset. 

She looked at her plate and played with her chopsticks. "The more and more I think about this situation, the more and more I realize that there's a lot of things we don't know about"

 I looked at her strangely "W-wait you're trying to find out what's up with him too?" 

She stopped playing with her chopsticks and stared intently at them.

 "Of course I am...he..." Her hand with the chopsticks began to shake but she calmed down just as fast with a sigh and placed her utensils down. 

Then she turned toward me and seriously stated, 

"We're in the same boat, he hates me too." 

"W-What!"

 She looked up at the ceiling and played with her hair. "No actually he probably hates me more hehe," she stated with a strained smile.

 "W-why do you think that?" 

The smile on her face had disappeared and it was replaced with a more grim, pondering look. 

"His glare told me everything I need to know. I know we weren't that close in-game but still." She said looking back at her chopsticks smiling sadly again, 

"I know he hates me."

 I frowned. "So it's not just me...but why" 

Maki looked up again and began, "Whatever the reason, It definitely connects with someone." Then she put an upset look on her face

 "And I'm inclined to think that the someone who is connected is...

...Kokichi."