2.4 where "love is in the air"

fp: 2/21/21

qotd: what should lauren major in? i need suggestions

four months prior - february 14th

"If I see any fucking couples here I'm going to lose my mind," Dinah announces as she and Normani walk from the parking garage and into the mall.

"D, it's Valentine's Day," Normani responds, amused by the younger girl's pouting.

"Who said I was supposed to care?" Dinah retorts, kicking at the ground like a petulant child.

"You sound single," Normani says, steering Dinah in the direction of the food court. "Have you decided on what you want yet?"

"Food," Dinah shrugs, and Normani rolls her eyes. "By the way, I don't understand why we had to come to the mall for food. There's a McDonald's around the corner from your place and six other fast food restaurants on the way here."

"Because," Normani responds, looking around the food court at the different shops, "I want the Mexican food from this place that only exists in the food court."

"We're here because you have a shit palate?" Dinah asks, raising her eyebrows.

"I do not have a shit palate!" Normani retorts, whipping around and looking at Dinah.

"Yes you do. I'm going to McDonald's, goodbye," Dinah says, turning on her heel and walking away.

She's sure that Normani's pouting, but truthfully, Normani said she wanted to go to the grocery store and get some stuff so they could hang out tonight being that they're both single, she didn't say they were going to the mall. She's a little pissed, but she knows she'll get over it.

Deciding that's she's not all that hungry, she only orders a medium fries and a chocolate shake, planning to dip every single one in the shake as if her life depends on it.

While waiting for her food, her phone buzzes.

lucy
you at the mall rn?

lucy
or am i losing it

deenah
no i'm at the mall why

"I didn't want to walk up to a random stranger and be like why are you here," Dinah turns around and sees the source of the voice, Lucy.

"Oh, hey," Dinah smiles slightly, "What're you doing here, don't you have a girlfriend to be wasting money on?"

"I do," Lucy grins, "She wanted to buy something at one of the stores and told me not to come in, so I offered to buy us food. Then I saw you, so why are you here?"

"Normani wanted a very specific Mexican place, apparently," Dinah laughs, "We're going to the store after this to get shit to stuff our faces with tonight after this."

"Damn, look at you getting the hottest date in school," Lucy teases, and Dinah rolls her eyes.

"We're not dating."

"Oh cool! Want to hear another fun truth? Pigs fly!" Lucy retorts sarcastically. She watches as Dinah's jaw clenches and her face softens, "I know you're in love with Lauren or whatever, but I mean- you've heard the way she and Camila talk about each other. It's nauseating, do you really want to be a part of that?"

Dinah sighs, "I don't know if I'm in love with Lauren anymore. And Normani's my best friend, I'm not going to risk fucking up another friendship even if I have a small crush."

"Jesus, lesbians are hopeless," Lucy replies, going to add something before stopping herself, "Your food."

"Oh," Dinah rushes over to the counter and thanks the worker, retrieving her food and walking back to Lucy, "by the way, Mani's bi."