Chapter four

Blood. So much blood! It was all absurd. I saw wolfs changing into humans, vampires drawing blood with their fangs. I saw myself in the middle of all, trying to make the right choice. I knew it didn’t make sense, but as I stood there, seeing creatures fighting with their own, I knew it was only I who could fix it.

I could hardly make out where I was; it was over thousands of thousands of creatures here! If I concentrated, I could make out a castle. Six story brick castle, if I’m not wrong. I could see another vampire approaching me. I ought to be afraid, but it felt different with this one. Like I knew him. Around him, even dragons flew around! Yet, I stood here in the middle of it all, almost invisible as I took it all in. The vampire shook my shoulder, screaming something.

“Lexi! Don’t just stand there! You have to choose now!”

More shaking. The vampire seemed almost frantic as I just stared at him.

Around us, creatures fell down dying. I knew which side I was on, because I could feel it. The pull towards the castle. The pull towards the vampire.

“Who…are…you?” I managed to whisper. The vampire sent me a small heart-warming smile. He took my hand before letting me see everything again. The castle falling down, bit by bit. Werewolves dying, dragons dying. Even small creatures, with a dangerous glow, were dying right in front of us.

“We are losing, Lexi,” he murmured. Why he new my name was beyond me, I just had to know this vampire’s name. Like my life depended on it.

He sighed, before turning to me.

“It’s me, William. I’m your soul mate,” he smirked. He seemed tired, almost drained of energy; yet, he tried to smirk.

I felt like I knew him, like he talked the truth. Even so, I was confused as to what he meant by soul mate.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, an arrow was shot from behind him. It happened in slow motion…

One moment, he was smiling at me, with a worried expression. In the next moment, an arrow was sticking out of his stomach.

“William!” I screamed. I knelt down, taking his head on my lap. He tried to whisper something, and I felt my heart shatter. “William!” I yelled at the top of my lungs again. I took his hand and brought my ear to his lips.

“Choose…now. B-before…it is…too late,” William squeaked out, barely audible. I shook my head. Tears ran down my face as I yelled at him to stay alive. His features were changing now. His once handsome brown hair began to lose its glow. His stunning brown eyes didn’t hold the same cockiness anymore. His pale skin began to pale even more. And his once soft lips had dried to the point that you could see it. Now, I knew he was dead.

I bent down, placing a tender kiss on his lips. It was short, but it was my goodbye to him. I closed his eyes, and stroke my fingers through his hair. I whispered his name over and over, feeling like I could never get the chance to call him it again…

***

“Alexandra!” a new voice yelled, shaking my shoulder again. Thinking I was still in my dream, I shot awake and screamed, “William!”

As I shook uncontrollably, I turned around, looking for the cause of my nightmare.

Around me was nothing but bars. I heard the horse’s small steps from its hooves, but that wasn’t what caught my attention.

In the cart with me, was the wolf. But not only that; Lukas and a stranger sat inside with me, both wearing worried expressions. Dylan sat in front and steered the horse. Even grumpy Dylan gave me worried sideways glances. I felt confused as I remembered the dream. It seemed too real to be one, and obviously Lukas was worried.