Chapter two

"Damnit, wake up! You bastard!" A shrill voice mixed in with my scream. I sat up in my bed, already knowing it was my aunt who had wakened me. I had a watch on my wrist, and quickly tried to make out how late it was. It hadn't been more than ten in the morning when I fell asleep, so you can imagine my surprise when it read seven in the morning! Slightly afraid of my aunt, I glared at her, motioned for her to get the heck out. I hadn't slept this long for years. Clara could at least have let me sleep out. For a second, it was like she debated on whether or not she should follow my order. I wouldn't get out of bed before she stepped out, and Clara knew it.

"You're so getting it later," she growled. She banged the door shut. I was finally alone again. I sighed, how long was I supposed to live like this? I never showed my fear, or my pain to her. Nevertheless, I wasn't going to lie; I was hurt by her action even now.

I decided that it was to no point trying to close my eyes. The picture of my mother still lingered whenever I closed my eyes. This was all like a never-ending nightmare, the longer I stayed here, the worse it got.

I knew my aunt would hit me hard for sleeping in all day. Should I stay? Did I really deserve the crap Clara gave me every day?

No, don't be silly.

Of course I agreed with my inner voice.

Under my bed, hided from my aunt, was a bag full-packed with food, warm clothes and a blanked. I didn't own much, and the only time I could tuck away food, was when Clara was drunk. The bag was hers, not mine. I did however steal it from her.

My old escape plan shined bright in my head. It shouldn't be a problem for me to flee away from her. The only problem was where. I could follow the road, the only one away from this house. We lived in the middle of nowhere, so it would take me a couple of days to get to civilization. The other option seemed more appealing, even though it was more surrealistic. The woods. I could run 'till my feet couldn't take it anymore. Then I could eat my food, and make up a fireplace. It couldn't possible be that hard.

I checked over everything in my bag, just in case I missed something. A lighter, a pair of shoes, body soap, two pants and two warm jumpers, a fluffy blanked, Giraffo, some sleeping-pills and painkillers, a bandage, and then a smaller plastic bag with food stocked in cans. It would keep me alive for a longer time.

Before I went out of my room, I dressed with the warmest clothes I had. I took my messy hair in a ponytail and made my way to the front door. It was raining outside, so I quickly hid the bag under shelter. I swiftly made my way inside.

When I came to the small kitchen, my aunt had a bottle of alcohol in her left hand. That was one thing my aunt had in common with my mother; they both were left-handed.

"You were outside," Clara stated, narrowing her eyes at me. I nodded at her. I was going to flee, why should I bother lying to her? She picked up a notebook and a pen, probably wanting me to tell her why. This was strange. She seemed almost desperate. "You aren't going outside again?" she commanded, but it came out as more like a question. I took the notebook, and simply wrote,

It was only for fresh air.

Clara seemed almost relieved. She wasn't too drunk yet, to my dismay. Clara could now quicker pick up what was going on. I tucked the notebook and pen in my pocked, where my phone was hiding. I walked over to the fridge, and opened it. Clara was watching me with anger and curiosity, but I had to make this right. I had only one chance.

It was indeed stocked with new food, and I picked some ingredients out of the fridge. I chose the ones I knew would expire fastest, and started to cook it up. My aunt seemed pleased that the breakfast would be gourmet food, and sat down by the kitchen table.