Chapter 10 - Term 2, Week 12

Start from the beginning

"Wednesday morning." Adele grins, mood quickly shifting.

Ryan and Ravi have decided to move in together, since they're both tired of living under their parents' roofs. Two boys sharing a flat does seem like a recipe for disaster, but Adele is just grateful for the idea of a new place to have to go and escape to. Especially since it includes Ryan in the deal.

"That's exciting." Gwen smiles.

"They're having a housewarming party on Saturday, so..."

"Good, that means you don't have to hang around here again."

"Sounds like you're trying to get rid of me."

Gwen rolls her eyes. "Adele, you haven't had a night out with your friends since you and Harry broke up. Now, while I'm glad you're not as wild as Jason was at your age, I do miss seeing you get all dressed up and coming back with your stories. So I'm not trying to get rid of you. I just want you to have some fun."

"Okay, fine." She concedes. "Where is everyone anyway? Is Dad picking up Casper?"

"Ah," Gwen holds a finger up to her, "no. Your dad has had to go away again, and for longer this time, so your brother is coming back while he's away."

"Jason's coming home?"

"Yes." Gwen grins, standing from her chair on wobbly legs. "So, he should've picked up Casper on his way past the school, and with any luck he'll be bringing fish and chips back like I asked him to."

Adele grunts in an unattractive manner thanks to her excitement, and follows her mum out of the room. "Wait, what are you gonna eat?"

"I've got leftovers from yesterday." She brushes, wandering into the kitchen.

"And Casper?"

"He can just have the chips."

"What if they're not vegan?"

Gwen laughs, filling and boiling the kettle. "Look, I have no energy at the moment to walk to the shop, let alone monitor what diet Casper is on. We all know he's gonna turn out like you and Jason anyway, 'cause he always asks why he's not allowed a McDonalds every time we drive past. He probably dumps the lunch we make him for chicken nuggets from the hot counter at school, anyway."

"He's not missing much on the McDonalds front, but being denied chocolate is just cruel." Adele pouts, helping her mother as they prepare three mugs for tea.

"If we time this right, we can have Jason finish the teas, 'cause Lord knows he'll only complain about it if you or I do it."

Adele smirks, knowing that's probably accurate. She and Gwen are never allowed to make tea and coffee because it's always bad. She'd think that being a chef would give her some kind of upper hand, but it doesn't.

Five minutes later, Jason pulls up on the curb outside, and Casper wastes no time shooting out of the car and up the front path to the house. He screams 'hello' at his mother and sister as he passes the kitchen, destination: sofa.

"Shoes, Casper!" Gwen calls to him, receiving a grunt in response.

A minute later, Jason struggles through the door with the family's dinner and Casper's school things. He drops Casper's belongings into the hallway, before finding Adele and Gwen in the kitchen.

"Don't all rush at once," he jokes, leaving the bag of hot food on the side.

Gwen grins, immediately taking him in for a long hug. "I have missed, J." She coos as they sway slightly in the middle of the room.