The Next Selection

So I know how many people have books on Wattpad called "The Next Selection" and I apologize. I just really liked the title and I LIVE FOR The Selection, so, deal with it. I hope you enjoy!

Prologue

I step through the wooden door of my house and my bare feet hit the grass, causing my feet to tickle in the green terrain. I walk across the lawn of our house until I reach the rusted mailbox in the front of our yard. I open the mailbox, looking through many bills and catalogs. But one paper catches my eye, so I put it on the top of the pile. Typed on thick blue paper in bold lettering is something I've been dreading. It reads:
Would you love the chance to become the next princess of Illéa? Then fill out the form below for your chance to win Prince Ahren's heart!
I see the empty slots that are supposed to be filled by me, but I just don't know. You aren't forced to enter the Selection;but you're basically a disgrace if you don't. I look at the form ten times before reentering the house. I walk into the living room and place the other mail on a small side table, keeping the form in my hands. I walk into the kitchen where my mom is, and quickly hide the form behind my back. "Mom," I say quickly. She turns around in her worn apron and places a cloth on the kitchen counter.

"Yes, sweetheart?" she asks.

"Something came in the mail today," I say shyly.

"What was it?" I can hear the anxiety in her voice as she waits for me to show her the thick piece of paper. I slowly hold the form in front of me, and it takes only three seconds for her to comprehend what it is. The sound of my mother screaming was enough to shatter thousands of glasses. She runs to me and grabs the form, relishing in its glory.

"Oh, Mallory, this is wonderful! Jolee, Jackson, Samantha, come here!" she calls to my siblings. I turn and see that my older sister, Samantha, already heard mom screaming and came to see what was wrong. "Look, Samantha!" My mom shoves the form in her face, jumping up and down the entire time. She takes the form and reads it over.

"Prince Ahren, huh? What about his parents dissolving the Selection?" she asks.

"Well, the Prince decided that he still wanted to have the competition, just not all the drama and coverage of it," my mother informs.

"Cool. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to finish my drawing," she says handing me the paper. Seconds later, Jolee and Jackson come running into the kitchen. The two of them are seven and twins, but couldn't be more opposite. Jolee is very girly and artistic, while Jackson is athletic and street-smart.

"What, mom?" they ask in unison.

"Look at what your big sister got in the mail!" Jolee took the form first, and squealed exactly like mom.

"Mal, this is the best thing ever! You're going to become the next princess! Can I be your maid of honor?" she asks wide eyed. I start laughing and shake my head.

"Don't get ahead of yourself, Jolee," I say. Jackson peeks over Jolee's shoulder to get a look at the form, and just nods.

"Okay." He walks away and grabs a basketball off of the couch.

"Jerk!" Jolee shouts chasing after him. She drops the form onto the ground and I bend to pick it up.

"Guess I better get started on this?" I ask my mom. She places a hand on my shoulder, nodding, and goes back to her cooking. I sit at the kitchen table and begin to fill in the form, shaking the whole time.