Chapter 9

Chapter 9

     That night all of the Selected were called down for dinner, and honestly, I was nervous. Mostly by Kadessa's threats to do whatever it takes to win Ahren. But, I put a smile on my face as I enter the dining hall. Unfortunately, no one seems happy to see me. Twenty-six pairs of eyes glare at me, while the other two don't even look at me. I take a seat next to Ambrosia and Tambry while everyone else goes back to their meals. "Hi," I say cutting into the steak in front of me.

"Hi," Ambrosia says awkwardly. I set down my fork and knife and look at them sadly.

"Is this because of the magazine?" I ask them. They quietly cut their food without speaking. "Guys, I can't control what the people think about us. I can't help it if I was ranked first."

"We know. We shouldn't be so stupid. You can't control it," Ambrosia says. Tambry nods her head in agreement.

"Good. Because you two are basically my best friends," I say with a laugh. They laugh too, making me feel better. After dinner, we all stand to leave, but are abruptly stopped by Ahren entering with a serious look on his face.

"Everyone, please take a seat," he says. We all obey, sitting back down in our chairs. He runs a hand through his hair and takes a deep breath. "So, I have a very special announcement for all of you. My parents are very good friends with some members of the Italian Delegation, and they have decided to visit so that they may get the privilege to meet all of you. We will be hosting a brunch tomorrow and all of you are required to attend." We all nod our heads and I can see a few girls mentally planning their outfits. "You may all head upstairs," he says. We stand and walk up the stairs to the second floor. I see my maids peeking out of the doorway and I gesture for them to walk inside. They do, me following behind them.

"How did it go?" Celine asks.

"Rough at first, but it got better towards the end," I answer.

"Good," Patricia answers. "Now, you need to..." She's cut off by three knocks on my door. I swiftly open it, and once again, Ahren is on the other side.

"Is this becoming a routine for you?" I ask him.

"No. It's just...I'm only available at night."

"That's fine. So, Your Highness, what brings you to my door tonight?"

"Shall we walk?" he asks holding out his arm to me.

"We shall," I say looping my arm through his. We walk down the staircase to the gardens, sitting on a nearby bench.

"Can I share something with you?" he asks.

"Absolutely."

"My father told me an interesting story today. He said when he had his Selection, my mother and him had this signal for when they wanted to talk to each other. It was an ear tug."

"That is quite interesting," I comment.

"And I was thinking...instead of me coming to your door every night, that could be our thing."

"So we have a thing now?" We start laughing and he thinks to himself for a second.

"Yes, I guess we do. The ear tug will live on for generations. Long live the ear tug," he shouts formally.

"Shhh! Keep your voice down!" I shout in a whisper.

"Sorry! Was that loud?"

"A little." He laughs again and begins to wipe tears from his eyes.

"Oh, sorry to intrude!" a voice shouts from behind us. We both look and see Kadessa standing right in front of us. Instantly, Ahren straightens out his suit.

"Lady Kadessa. Please, no intrusion whatsoever."

"Perfect! Now, Prince Ahren, if you wouldn't mind taking a break from Lady Mallory and escorting me to my room? I seem to have gotten lost," she says with her signature hair flip. Oh please, you just walk up the stairs and the very first room is your's, I think to myself. Ahren looks at me, then back at Kadessa, who is batting her long eyelashes.

"Go," I say. "I have a feeling she had some wine at dinner." He quietly laughs and walks over to Kadessa, who clearly heard my comment. As Ahren is walking her away, she glares at me and I smirk at her, already fed up with her games. You know what? Two can play this game, I think, ready for a little competition.