Chapter 6

Chapter 6

     Here I am, standing in front of the future King of Illéa, acting like an idiot. Never did I expect the Prince to show up at my door, let alone on the second night. I search through my head, fumbling for the right words. "Your Majesty," I say in hopes of recovery. "What brings you to my door?" He straightens out his navy blue tie--he looks really good in that color-- and clears his throat.

"I was coming to inform you that the Welcoming Ball begins in an hour," he says.

"Oh." I can't believe that I actually forgot about it. "Well, I can assure you that I will be ready in time." I smile, hoping that this isn't too awkward for him.

"Fantastic. And Mallory, is it?" he asks. I nod my head. He leans in so that no one can hear him. "I would like to speak with you after the event," he says so quietly I can barely hear him. But I manage to make it out. Suddenly, I can feel my heart picking up speed. I immediately begin to talk, almost sure you could hear it if your were quiet enough.

"Of course, Your Majesty," I say nervously.

"I'll be here at nine o'clock precisely." With that, he walks over to Rebekah's room and I can hear the same three knocks. I shut the door and almost fall to my knees, but my maids catch me.

"Did that just happen?" I ask them.

"Yes," they all answer at once.

"And did I make a fool of myself?"

"Not at all," Eliza says. I breathe a sigh of relief and stand up to straighten my dress. I catch a glimpse of a large black bag hanging on the wall and walk over to it.

"Is this the mystery dress they sent to me?" My maids nod. "Well then, I need to get ready."

     The dress was a cream-color with golden accents embedded on the boddess. It fell to the floor, causing a slight train to file behind it. I guess you could say it was sleeveless, except for straps of fabric that wrapped around my shoulders. I kept on my cream-colored heels and released my dirty blonde hair from it's braid. My maids found a gold-accented headband and slipped it over my ears, completing the look. When I saw myself, I was stunned. This was easily the most beautiful dress I had ever seen. It was obviously made for a special occasion. I saw my maids looking at me in the mirror and Celine was wiping tears from her eyes. "You look breathtaking," Patricia says speechless.

"Well, it's not me. It's this dress."

"Nonsense!" they all shout, causing us all to crack up.

     The ever familiar knock on the door came and Sylvia rushed in. "It's time to go," she says looking at her clipboard. I leave my maids and walk with Sylvia into the hallway. Everyone else is lined up in the hallway, all wearing similar cream dresses. Four girls are between Rebekah and I, but she quickly scurries to the back of the line. Her dress was floor-length too, as was everyone else's. But her's was strapless, going into a sweetheart neckline. There were no accents on her dress, but there was a golden belt wrapped around her waist. I noticed that each girl had something golden on her dress: belts, headbands, even just sparkles. I guess it was supposed to be a theme. We walk down the steps and make our way to the events hall. And the entire time...I'm thinking about Ahren. Obviously, Rebekah can see me daydreaming and taps my shoulder.

"You okay there?" I snap out of my fantasy and feel embarrassed.

"Fine. Just jitters."

"It'll be fine. The Prince already smiled at you," she says. I don't think she meant for it to sound harsh, but it did. Did it bother her that he smiled at me? Was she already jealous?