Chapter 2

Chapter 2

     I walk into the studio we have hidden in the back of our house, and my dad and Samantha are back there. Samantha is sitting at a small desk, scribbling images onto a piece of paper, while Dad is sitting behind the grand piano. Our family is well known for being artistic. Mom cooks, Dad plays the piano, Samantha draws, Jolee dances, Jackson...plays sports, and I play instruments, cook, and draw.

     I walk over to Dad, watching his fingers hit the ivory keys as music spills out. I lightly tap his shoulder and he looks up at me with a smile. "Yes, sweetheart?" he asks me gently. I sit on the small piano bench beside him and place my head on his shoulder.

"Can I have some advice?" I ask.

"Of course. What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong. It's just, I'm scared." I can hear him sigh.

"Mallory, there is absolutely nothing to be scared of!" He starts laughing and I look at him.

"What's so funny!" I say in almost a yell.

"You're worried over nothing! I just know that when Prince Ahren sees you, he'll have to pick you. If he doesn't, then that's his problem. Not yours." I smile at my father's wisdom and hug him around the side.

"Thanks, dad," I say.

"You're welcome, sweetheart." I get up from the piano bench and walk over to the guitar standing in the corner of the room. I pick it up from its stand and sit on the wooden stool beside it. I take the songs from my memory and begin to strum them on the strings of the guitar. I become immersed in the music, closing my eyes and tapping my foot to the beat. When I finish the song, I open my eyes to realize that my entire family is staring at me. They begin to applaud and I start laughing.

"Thank you, thank you. I work for tips," I say taking a bow.

"That was beautiful, honey," my mother says sweetly.

"Thanks," I say. She pulls me in for a hug and I can almost feel the warmth radiating off of her.

Once everyone goes back to their everyday lives, my mom sticks around.

"Mallory, are you excited for tonight?" she asks blissfully. I turn to her and furrow my brow.

"Why? What's tonight?" I ask confused.

"Tonight you find out if you got into the Selection!" I gasp and can feel my pulse quickening.

"What! Why are we finding out so early! I turned in my form yesterday!" Years ago, in the last Selection, everyone would turn in their form and find out on the Illéa Capitol Report. We still have the Report but we only use it for weekly announcements.

"Well, everyone eligible already turned in their form! They said they just couldn't wait to get started! You'll be getting a letter in the mail tonight to tell you," she says cheerily. I wipe my palms on my white jeans nervously and pray that I don't pass out.

"Yay," I say sarcastically shaking my hands in the air.

"Oh, you'll be fine!" she says surely, walking out of the studio, leaving me with my hopes and reality.

Around five in the afternoon, I can see the sun beginning to creep into the horizon, causing the sky to turn various shades of orange, pink, and purple. I take a deep breath as I look out the window to our mailbox, waiting for my fate to arrive.

"Mal, you're becoming paranoid," I hear from behind me. I look and see Samantha standing with her hands on her hips, giving me a sly look of jealousy. "I bet you've been standing there long enough to have given each of the birds that fly by a name," she teases.

"Hey, don't make fun of Tweety! And Professor Worms!" I say going along with her joke. We both start laughing, but suddenly, Samantha's expression turns from happy to serious within half a second. I turn to see what she's looking at, and a man in a navy blue uniform is approaching the front door. I wait for the sound of the three raspy knocks on the other side of the door, and swiftly open it. The man behind the door is strong and lean, with buzzed hair and a strict face. His uniform is plain navy blue except for the seal of Illéa lying on the breast of the uniform.

"Miss Mallory Britain, I have a letter addressed to you by King Maxon and Queen America themselves." He bows to hand me the letter, and out of the corner of my eye, I see Samantha nod her head strangely. Trying not to laugh, I take the letter and the guard dismisses himself, leaving me with the open outdoors to look at. Samantha runs over to me and relishes in the letter as well. It's nothing fancy, except for my name being neatly written on the front and the seal of Illéa stamped neatly on the back in wax to prevent it from opening.

"Guys, Mallory got her letter!" Samantha calls. Everyone runs into the room and the pressure to open it burns into my heart. I rip the top of the envelope open, throwing it onto the ground in excitement. The paper slides neatly out of the envelope, folded neatly into my hands. I unfold it and begin to read the words aloud:
"Miss Britain, it is a great pleasure of the royal family to inform you that you have been chosen to compete in the next Selection! Officials will be sent to your home immediately to prepare you for your trip to the castle. You will have two days left in your home, and then, your home will be the castle for however long you stay. We are very happy to have you!
                         ~Queen America"

I feel my knees buckle and everyone begins cheering. I actually did it. I'm in the Selection. My mother cheers, my father hugs me, Samantha applauds, Jolee begins twirling in circles with Jackson, and even I have a smile on my face. My mother picks up the letter and hugs it as if it's a person. "I can't believe Queen America actually wrote this!" she squeals. I roll my eyes at my mom's joy and hug Samantha.

"I was secretly rooting for you," she whispers into my ear. I stare at her strangely.

"Really?"

"Yeah! Don't let my mood make you think otherwise!" I laugh at how happy everyone is, but almost immediately, I become sad. I'm gonna have to leave home and move to the castle. How am I going to do that? That may be the hardest part of all of this.