Chapter 12

I know anyone reading this is probably going to skip over it, but please don't. I just want to say, I am so grateful that my story was started only a month ago today and it already has over 200 reads. That means soooooo much to me and I absolutely love you all! Enjoy!!!

Chapter 12

     I walk up the stairs with Ambrosia, who is still holding an ice pack to her face. We reach her bedroom door and she stops and looks at me. "Remember, you can't tell anybody," she says.
"I promise I won't," I say.
"Alright. Goodnight," she says opening her door.
"Night." She walks in and closes the door behind her. I walk down the hallway, opening my door and then shutting it. I slam myself onto my bed and feel so tired. I go to my closet, throw my dress into the dirty bin, and jump into the hot bath. After half an hour of soaking in the tub, I go slip on my blue nightgown and crawl under the satin covers. I'm about to doze off when I hear a knock on my door. Who is that? I grab my robe and toss it on, walking over to open the door. "Hello?" I ask rubbing my eyes. I begin to hear a laugh, and I open my eyes to see Ahren doubled over. Holy crap. I totally forgot, I think to myself. "Oh, I'm so sorry! I can go get ready!" I say. I can just feel my pulse quickening. He stands back up and has an apologetic look on his face.
"Don't apologize. I'm the one who laughed at you. If you want to go back to sleep..."
"No! Just give me five minutes," I say.
"Take however long you need."
"Okay." I shut the door--probably too hard--and run to my closet. I need something cute but casual. Something that will make him be speechless. Uh, how do my maids do this?!?!?! It takes me already five minutes just to find a dress. I pick a a deep blue dress that's simple but elegant. I just pull my hair half-up and put on mascara and lipstick. At the last minute, I grab two heels from my closet and throw them onto my feet. I open the door back up and smile at Ahren. "All ready." He looks at my feet and can't stop smiling. "What?"
"How big of a hurry were you in?" He points to my shoes and I sigh. One is pink and one is burgundy. "You've got to be kidding," I say.
"Why don't you run back in there and fix that," he says with a smile.
"Alright." I quickly run back into my room and make sure I've got the same shoes. "Now I'm good," I say.
"Perfect," he says holding out his arm. As we walk down the hallway, he stops for a second.
"What?" I ask him.
"It's just...I saw my aunt escort you out of the tent earlier today," he says. I nod my head and smile.
"She wanted to know if I was fond of you," I say nervously.
"And what did you say?"
"I said yes, of course. Although, it was really embarrassing," I say with a laugh.
"I bet. Listen, I know my aunt may be hostile and scary at first, but don't let her get to you. She means well," he says shakily.
"I'm sure she does." We continue walking and reach the bottom of the stairs. Ahren stops walking and I turn to face him. "Okay, we've got to quit stopping," I say.
"I know, but I want to say something before we head to the gardens."
"And what's that?" I ask.
"I really enjoy your company. And...you don't seem like other girls. And you...you're incredibly funny, and...and pretty. I just...wanted us to have a proper first date," he stutters.
"Really? This is a date? Well now I wish I had dressed better." He laughs and I can see him playing with his cuff links.
"Shall we?" he asks gesturing to the doors leading to the gardens.
"We shall." He takes my hand and he slowly opens the doors to the garden. Strings of golden lights are hanging from the cherry blossom trees and a table is set up in the center of it all.
"I hope it isn't too much," he says.
"No, it's...it's beautiful," I say speechless. We reach the table and he pulls out my seat for me, then sitting down himself.
     Suddenly, a butler rounds the corner with a tray of food and sets the plates down in front of us. "Enjoy," he says casually. Once he walks away, I can feel the tension piling in the air. I grab my fork and begin cutting into my food.
"So...how are you?" I ask him. He looks up at me and smiles.
"Pretty good. I had a meeting with some counselors and my father today."
"Cool." Is this really happening? "Okay, this is awkward," I say.
"Yeah, I guess it is. How do we fix it?"
"By talking. Like normal people," I say.
"Well, what do normal people talk about?" he asks.
"Fun stuff. Like what we like to do."
"Okay. Well, I like to dance, write, play sports, and read," he says.
"And I like to cook, draw, play instruments, and sing."
"How many instruments can you play?"
"Four. Piano, guitar, viola, and flute."
"Wow. I could never do that," he says.
"I know." He begins laughing and we start eating our food. After we finish, he walks over to me and holds out his hand. I take it, and we walk back up to my door.
"Dinner was lovely. I hope next time it won't be as awkward," Ahren says.
"So there will be a next time?" I ask.
"If you want there to be one."
"I do," I say.
"Me too," he replies.
"Well, goodnight Ahren," I say.
"Goodnight Mallory." He opens my door and I walk inside, waving at him and smiling. As the door shuts, I walk over to my bed and lay down on it. Did I just have my first date?, I think to myself. And it was with the Prince.