Chapter 11

Chapter 11

     Here I am, standing in front of the Queen of Italy, telling her I have feelings for her nephew. Could this get any more embarrassing? "Okay, well I was just checking. You seem like a very nice girl," Queen Nicoletta says. I draw my attention back to her and smile.

"Thank you," I say curtsying.

"I guess we should get back then."

"I guess we should." We walk back to the tent and I almost crumple to the grassy floor. Crouching in the corner, Ambrosia is in tears. Through everything, Ahren and Tambry are trying to comfort her, while Kadessa is smirking and talking to Amber. I ball my fists and walk over to Ambrosia. "Is everything okay? What happened?" I ask her. Ambrosia sniffs and lifts her face. Three long scratch marks lie on her right cheek and her bottom lip is split open. I gasp and Ahren looks at me with nothing but concern. "How did that happen?" I ask her.

"It was an accident. Kadessa accidentally tripped over her dress and tried to stop herself from falling," she says as tears slip from her green eyes.

"Let's get you to the infirmary," Ahren  says. He holds out a hand to her and she stands up, wiping her eyes. As they leave, I see Kadessa waving them away with a pout on her face.

"That's it," I say. I walk over to Kadessa with Tambry right behind me. "Well Kadessa, really unfortunate about Ambrosia, isn't it?" She turns her head to us and sighs.

"It really is. I just can't believe how I tripped," she says. The sarcasm in her icy blue eyes is very noticeable.

"Yeah, I can't believe it either. Matter of fact, I don't."

"Excuse me?"

"We all know that your "trip" wasn't an accident. And if it was, it was because you had too much to drink."

"How dare you! You have no right to accuse me of such things! You weren't even here!"

"I didn't have to be here to know that you are a manipulative, lying brat!" She clenches her jaw.

"You little..." she starts. But she doesn't finish before I'm pulled away from her. Tambry leads me outside the tent, holding onto my arm.

"Why'd you do that?" I ask her.

"Because in two seconds, you would've hit her. And been disqualified." I go quiet because I realize how close I was to being kicked out.

"I'm sorry, but you know I'm right."

"Yeah, you probably are. But is she worth it?"

"Definitely not."

"Then let her be. We can find another way to get back at her without touching her," she says. I raise my eyebrows.

"How?"

"Have you never heard of revenge?"

"Not bad. Okay, let's try to enjoy the rest of this," I say. We walk back to the tent and a small orchestra begins playing songs. Twenty minutes later, Ahren comes back and sits with his mother. I grab a glass of champagne and decide to walk over to Ahren. But, I'm stopped by a member of the Italian Delegation. She has a tight bun, a tight face, and tight clothes.

"You must be Mallory!" the woman exclaims.

"Indeed I am."

"It's very nice to meet Illea's favorite."

"Really?"

"Why of course! Anyone would die to meet you," she says patting my shoulder.

"I didn't know that," I say.

"If I could just ask you a few questions?"

"Of course." We walk to a nearby table and she asks me questions about my family, life, and my interests. I never knew how many details these people wanted about my life.

     At the end of the event, it's about three o'clock. I walk to the infirmary, dodging guests the whole time. I just have to see Ambrosia. I have to make sure she's okay. I finally make it to the infirmary and ask to see Ambrosia. They lead me to a small room blocked off by a curtain. "She's in there," the nurse says.

"Thank you," I say.

"No problem, miss." She walks off and I go to the curtain.

"Ambrosia, can I come in?" I call.

"Sure," I hear faintly from behind the curtain. I pull it back and she is sitting on the side of the hospital bed in her bright yellow dress. I can still see faint blood stains on her skirt. She's holding an ice pack to her lip and her scratches are stitched up.

"You had to get stitches?" I ask her. She nods her head.

"Yeah. The scratches were pretty deep."

"I bet." I go and sit beside her on the bed. "Are you okay?" She puts down the ice pack and shrugs.

"Doctors say I'll be fine. But..." she takes a deep breath. "I don't know if I want to stay."

"What do you mean?"

"This whole thing. I mean, is it worth it? The drama, the conflict, the damage?"

"I thought what happened with Kadessa was an accident," I say.

"You really think that?"

"No." I sigh and fall onto the bed. "Listen, I'm not going to force you to stay, but don't leave just because of her."

"But she has it out for me," she says.

"How do you know that?"

"She told me. At the party. She said to stop hanging out with you. After I told her no, she walked away and "slipped"." I throw my arms in the air.

"She did that to you because you said no to stop being my friend?"

"Yeah."

"I swear, when I tell..."

"No! You can't tell anyone!" she shouts in a whisper. I look into her pleading eyes. "I'll be fine. Just...don't tell anyone. Not even Tambry," she says. I sigh and finally nod my head.

"Fine. I won't tell anyone."

"Promise?" she asks.

"Promise."