Chapter 18

I'm back!!! Sorry I've been for such a long time, but I'll try to update this story more. I love everyone who has stuck around and waited and thanks for not giving up on me❤️❤️
    Ahren leads me down the many twists and turns of the palace hallways. I smile at him as we turn the corner and are by the french doors that lead to the garden. He grins as he opens the door and we walk to the garden, the morning light sparkling off of the newly-watered plants. "So, what are we doing out here?" I ask him. He turns to face me and smiles.
"Follow me," he says walking down one of the garden paths. I follow him and we end up outside of a barn.
"What is this place?" I ask him. He grins and opens the two barn doors, the light spilling out onto the grass. Inside, there are two chestnut-colored horses in stalls. "Horses?"
"Yeah, they're kind of my pets," he says scratching the back of his neck.
"Pets?" I ask confused. "What about the dozens of horses the palace has?"
"Those horses are too sophisticated and trained. I found these horses wandering around the forest. No one knows about them--except you," he says walking over to one of the horse's stalls.
"So you've basically kidnapped these wild horses and have them hidden away?" I ask him.
"Uh...yeah," He says quietly.
"Well I like that one," I say pointing to an all white horse. "That one seems friendly."
"I named that one lily after my great grandma," He says walking over to Lilly's stall and petting her. I join him and look at lily.
"She seems sweet."
"You want to take her for a ride?" Ahren asks me. I look at him in surprise.
"Really? But I've never ridden a horse before," I say. "What if she doesn't like me?"
"She'll love you." He opens the stall and puts a saddle on the horse, bringing her out to the trail. He lifts himself up onto the saddle and holds his hand out to me. "Hop on."
"Alright," I say hesitantly. I grab his hand and lift myself onto the horse, wrapping my arms around ahren.
We set off on our journey and I smile as I look through the trees, wishing that this moment could last forever. If only...