Chapter 14

Chapter 14

     After breakfast, I walk up to my room, wanting to escape all of the secrets. When I finally close the door behind me, I walk out onto the balcony and the sun is still rising into the morning sky. I look down at the garden below me, and smile at what I see. Ahren is walking around with a camera, snapping pictures once in a while. I decide to just watch him for a minute as he chases after a butterfly. When the butterfly soars into the sky, he trips over a pebble and falls into the rose bushes. I can't help myself. I begin laughing from my balcony as he picks himself up from the now-squashed flowers. He looks my way and I quickly try to duck behind the railing. "I can see you," he calls. I jump up and smile at his torn shirt.
"Do you some help with that?" I ask him.
"Yes. I think there's a thorn in my finger." I laugh again and run down the stairs and to the garden. When I reach him, he holds out his hand for me to examine.
     Surely enough, a thorn is sticking out of his thumb. "Okay, this may hurt," I say getting ready to pull the thorn out.
"Wait! Can't we go to the infirmary and have it taken out?"
"Come on, don't be scared," I say.
"Alright." I tug on the thorn and he begins to scrunch his face.
"One, two, three!" I shout pulling the thorn from his finger. He grabs his thumb and holds it, scared to look at it. "Is it okay?" I ask.
"Yeah, I think so," he says quietly.
"And all because of a butterfly." He starts laughing, which distracts him from the pain, and then it's as if a light bulb goes off in his head.
"So, when were you going to tell me?" he asks.
"Tell you what?" Oh, please not about my "almost fight" with Kadessa.
"That tomorrow is your birthday," he says with a smile. Oh, wow. Tomorrow is my birthday.
"I'm sorry. I totally forgot. I can't believe I'm going to be eighteen," I say. Almost instantly, my look of happiness turns sad.
     Ahren notices and guides me over to the bench. "Why are you so sad?" he asks me.
"Because my family won't be here. Normally, my mother would bake me a cake, my sister would draw me a picture, and my other sister would do a dance. I guess I won't have that this year."
"Well we can still celebrate." I look at him with wide eyes.
"You mean like have a party?" I ask.
"Of course! Wouldn't that be fantastic?," I nod my head. "Then let's have a party," he says. I instantly smile and start laughing.
"Are you serious?!?!"
"If it'll make you happy. I'll just need to ask my parents."
"Okay! Thank you!" I throw my arms around him and give him a hug. After almost a minute, the laughing stops and the silence grows. I slowly pull back from the hug and he is staring into my eyes. I swear, don't act like a complete idiot and faint. He looks at me and leans in, kissing my cheek. Once he pulls back, he leans in again. Right before he kisses me, a loud cough comes from behind us. He turns around, causing me to see who completely interrupted us. The king. The king is standing right in front of us.
     "Um...son, can I speak with you?" he asks. Ahren turns and looks at me. I nod, signaling him to go. He stands and walks with his father behind some tall bushes. I sit there, thinking about what almost happened. When Ahren comes back, he has a happy and sad look on his face.
"Good news: my father said yes to the party. It will be tomorrow after lunch and everyone will be there. Bad news: my father needs me for a meeting right away."
"Well then you better go fix your shirt," I say pointing to the tears in it.
"I guess you're right. I'll seen you as you as I can."
"I'm counting on it," I say. He smiles and walks with his father back into the castle. Five minutes later, I go back inside myself, and my maids are waiting for me. They look like their bladders are going to explode. "What's wrong with you guys?" I ask them.
"He almost kissed you!" Patricia squeals.
"You were watching?" I ask more ashamed than happy.
"Sorry about that, miss," Eliza says.
"No, it's fine. Just, the king showed up and it was kind of awkward."
"Well, what did the Prince talk to you about before King Maxon showed up? You seemed pretty happy," Celine says.
"Well...my eighteenth birthday is tomorrow, and Ah--the Prince--thought it would be a good idea to have a party here," I say.
"Your birthday is tomorrow?" they all ask. I  of my head.
"Well ladies, let's make a dress," Patricia says in her big-boss voice.