Chapter 7

Chapter 7

     "Lady Mallory, wake up," I hear from above me. I open my eyes and see Celine standing above me.

"But why? Can't I have five more minutes?" I whine. She throws the covers off of me.

"No! The Prince has requested to see all of the Selected!" she insists. I immediately jump up at the mention of Ahren. After last night, I'm kind of confused. He seemed pretty straightforward, but I don't even know him yet. I need to do that first.

     I hop out of bed and my maids proceed to cleanse me. And I'm not going to lie, it's kind of awkward having your maids give you a bath. But, they say that I'll just get used to it. They quickly pull my wet hair into a towel and place it on top of my head to dry. I'm slipped into a bright red dress that feels like silk against my skin. They remove my hair from the towel and quickly blow dry it, sending warm chills down my back. They straighten my thick wavy hair, causing it to run down almost to my elbows. "Okay, that's all we have time for because we let you sleep in. Go!"

"Where am I supposed to go?" I ask.

"The Women's Room. Hurry!" Patricia orders. I scurry out of the room and run to the Women's Room.

     Everyone is already there, but no Prince Ahren. Thank goodness, I think to myself. I slide in next to Rebekah and by then I'm out of breath. "You're late," she says not even looking at me.

"What's wrong with you?" I ask. She looks at me with a cold stare.

"Why were you with him last night?" she asks. I feel my body tense up.

"What are you talking about?"

"Don't act stupid, Mallory. You really think I couldn't hear you two? I'm right next door!"

"But nothing happened, I swear!" She folds her arms across her chest and I'm instantly reminded of Jolee. "He just wanted to go on a walk," I say trying to recover.

"For four hours?" I slightly gasp.

"Were you spying on me and him?" I ask her hoping it's not true. She twists her thumbs, realizing that she's said too much. "You know what? I don't need a friend who doesn't believe me when I say that nothing happened." I face the other direction, finding Kadessa by me. "Hello," I say holding out my hand. She looks at me and flicks her hair behind her shoulder.

"And you are?"

"Mallory Britain from Angeles," I say. It was as if I could see the flames ignite in her eyes.

"So you're the girl who was seen with Prince Ahren last night," she says with a grimace. Ouch, that hurt. Did everyone know about Ahren and me. It was just a walk! I clear my throat and smooth out my dress, trying not to show defeat.

"I'm sorry if you think I've offended you in some way, but..."

"Offended? Try, humiliated. The Prince goes on his first date with a musician when he could have a rising politician?" She fluffs her icy blonde hair and a perfect row of white teeth emerge.

"I wouldn't call it a date. More like a walk."

"I don't care what it was. It was supposed to be mine. So don't ever take it again. Because, as far as everyone knows, I'm a sweet girl from a powerful family. But truly, I will do anything to get what I want. And, as of right now, Prince Ahren is at the top of my list." She flips her head away from me and begins talking to Amber Keaton. Minutes later, a knock on the door ends all conversations.