Chapter 17: One Step Closer

Start from the beginning

"Relax! I was just joking."

"Ohh please we both know that you didn't like the word beautiful describing you because of this societal notion of our that attaches feminity to the this word instead of having it gender neutral as it should be." I know she is correct so I keep mum.

Rishi thankfully shifts to lighter topics away from these feminist ones and the three of us are in deep conversations when we see dad at the centre with a mic in his hand and Vijay uncle next to him.

"Attention everyone. Today's party is to celebrate a few things, one as you know dad just suffered a stroke but had now mostly recovered, second is of my son handling my business so well at such a young age, and the biggest announcement for which we have gathered here is that my friend Vijay and I have decided to open another branch of Vijay's law firm in Jaipur, some hour and half away from here and the formalities for the same have been completed and it will be in operation from next month." Okay, that wasn't expected. So, this is the reason uncle stayed here with us for so many days. Everyone clapped and cheered including me. Vijay uncle then took the mic. Looks like he too has something important to announce.

"The operations of this firm would be headed by a very capable person whom I have known for a few years now and can trust blindly. They have been an asset to the firm from the time they joined me. Today, they are present here and I just want them to know that this responsibility is being given to them based on their hard work and determination. Being a good lawyer at such a young age and being so industrious is what is required in a leader. So, here I present you the head of operations at the Jaipur office...Ms. Maira Kapoor."

I turn to look at Maira to discover her in pure shock. She also did not know. Woahhhh...I am so happy for her. This means she will be so close to me, I might accidentally run in her every other day, or may be every day; who knows! I see Rishi hugging Maira while she still find it hard to believe. Soon, everyone comes and congratulates Maira.

Finally, she is alone and I go upto her when I see uncle approaching her. I don't wanna eavesdrop but this isn't my fault that they were conversing when I am in the earshot.

"Sir, I don't want you to give me this position because of what I have done for Maharaj, I want this position just for the work that I have done and nothing else."

"Maira, I am not stupid. I will not give you such a huge responsibility if I didn't know you can handle it. I had this in mind for past few months, and this is not an apology for calling you a liability or not standing up for you when Uday was going off about you. For that I want to say sorry. I am so sorry Maira. You don't have to say anything just take this opportunity and show me I made the right decision."

So, this is what all this asset liability thing is about. I guess anyone would have left a place of they were called a liability. No wonder Maira wanted to leave that day.

I go upto her and stand there. "Congratulations Maira. I am very happy for you."

"Thank you." She gives me a polite smile before turing her face towards the dance floor.

Soon music starts and I see Rishi dragging Maira to the dance floor. I can see Maira is smiling but I want to be the reason of that smile of hers. I want to dance with her, hold her in my arms.

"Bhai, why are you standing here pouting?" I see my sister adorned in a purple gown with a silver mask. It struck me that my little sister has grown up into a beautiful woman.

"I am not pouting but you look beautiful. So, can I have a dance with my little grown up sis?" She laughs at my oxymonron-ous phrase. "You don't have to ask bhai. Now don't make me cry. Come on." "Now who's pouting!" I gave her a side hug and took her to the dance floor.