Chp. 22

Baton Rouge 📍
Aaliyah 💕
July 27
9:19am

"Get.out.of.the.car.Aaliyah" my mama says to me through gritted teeth. I look in her eyes and stare at her from the back seat "I shall and I will not get out of this car" I say to her in all seriousness. Her right eyebrow raises "oh really?" She asks and I nod. I watch her get out of the car and come to my side of the car but I lock my door.

"Aaliyah get out now before I go get your father" she threatens me. I huff and unlock the doors grabbing my phone, I get out the car and try to run pass my mama so she can't hit me but she grabs my shirt and pulls me back. "Don't.go.in.here.actin.up" she hits me in between each word.

"Owww! Okay!" I yell trying to run away from her but she keeps hitting me but now speaking in Spanish. I don't know what she is saying because I never learned Spanish and I identify as just black. "REGINA! What tha hell are you doin!?" My dad yells pulling her off of me.

"What happened!?" He whisper yells while I fix my hair "yeah what happened Regina" I say and she glares at me making me laugh. "Your daughter was being a brat and didn't want to get out of the car" she tells him and his head snaps in my direction.

"Mama!" I yell at her and she starts laughing walking away and into the house. "Why don't you want to see my mama?" My dad asks me and I look at him then sigh loudly. "She sooo judgmental and always picking argument with me like a child would AND she always forcing me to clean her house" I tell him.

He stares at me for a while before laughing in my face. "Awwww well guess what? I went through this for eighteen years now stop being a baby and lets go" he says then drags me into the house.

As soon as we walk in the smell of old people perfume fills my nose causing me to scrunch up my face. "Fix yo face 'fore she he both of us" my dad whispers to me before dragging me into the living room.

As always she sitting in her favorite chair in front of the tv and right by the mini refrigerator. "Well, bout time you show that big head of yours" she says to me looking me up and down. I give my biggest and fakest smile "hello to you too grandma" I say through gritted teeth and my dad pops me.

Jayden sits in her lap looking uncomfortable and scared that's how you know something wrong. We both would rather be at my grandparents house on my mama side. Their wayyy nicer.

I go and sit down on the loveseat across the room and she looks directly at me. She gasps loudly and over dramatically clutching her chest "you cut your hair?" She asks and I nod slowly. "Now why would you do that? Your head was already abnormally big since birth now it just looks more huge" she says my mouth drops.

"Ma'am- i think she looks beautiful with her haircut Lisa and I would appreciate it if you stop commenting on my daughter negatively" my mom cuts me off. My grandma rolls her eyes and looks down at Jayden "hey little boy" she says to him and he just stares up at her mugging.

I cough to cover up my laugh. Oh this gone be a long day.

1:57pm

We pull out of Walmart parking lot after going shopping for like an hour. "Ma can you drop me off at Ben house?" I ask her playing with Jayden in the backseat. "For what?" My dad asks and I roll my eyes at him trying to do his
deep voice.

"To hang out?" I say more as a question. "Do you promise to answer every time we call you?" My mom asks looking up at me through the mirror. "Yes I promise" I tell her and she nods.

After giving her the directions to Ben house which is kinda on the south side but at the same time kinda on the north. She pulls up in front of his house and gang is all outside with the addition of a few more guys.