No More Surprises

In the midst of deep space, there was a transmission call pleading for help, but by the time help would arrive it would be too late. The remaining sector of the ship was on fire and they were lucky enough to help half of the people on board to safety, but it spelled doom for those remaining.

In the remains Heimdall sat, clutching his side as Ebony Maw spoke out in his annoying and ever calm voice.

"Hear me and rejoice." Maw spoke out as Heimdall tried to grab Ebony's leg. "You have had the privilege of being saved by the Great Titan. You may think this is suffering. No. It is salvation. Universal Scales tip toward balance because of your sacrifice. Smile. For even in death, you have become Children of Thanos."

Loki stared at him in silent fury, unable to save anyone, and he turned to look at Thanos. The Titan was looking down at his brother who was struggling to move, and Loki made eye contact with the Hulk who was breathing heavily in his hiding spot and Loki slowly shook his head.

"I know what it's like to lose." Thanos said, turning to face the former prince. "To feel so desperately that you're right...yet to fail, nonetheless." Thanos looked down and picked Thor up, dragging the man who groaned in pain. "It's frightening. Turns the legs to jelly. But I ask you, to what end? Dread it, run from it, destiny arrives all the same. And now, it's here. Or should I say, I am."

The mad titan grinned as he held up a gold gauntlet that housed a glowing purple stone, with room for five more stones.

"You talk too much." Thor groaned as the mad titan held his head in his hand.

Loki's eyes snapped down to Thor, trying to relay the silent message of his plan, but his brother was not paying attention.

"The Tesseract." Thanos demanded, ignoring Thor's jab. "Or your brother's head." He held the gauntlet closer to Thor's face and the God winced away from it. "I assume you have a preference."

"Oh, I do." Loki said, not breaking eye contact with the Titan. "Kill away."

This answer seemed to surprise Thanos a little, but nonetheless held the power stone against Thor's head. His brother began screaming from the pain, and Loki held Thanos' eye for a moment but then it dropped down to his big brother. Loki began trembling, his will to save his brother and to save the universe fighting each other.

"All right, stop!" Loki shouted and shut his eyes in relief.

"We don't have the Tesseract." Thor said in triumph. "It was destroyed on Asgard."

Loki had a look of embarrassment before he stepped forward, extending his hand. He quickly looked over to the hulk who was still hiding and gave him a look. The Tesseract formed and Thanos grinned triumph.

"You really are the worst brother." Thor panted.

"I assure you, brother, the sun will shine on us again." Loki told him as he walked towards Thanos.

"You're optimism is misplaced, Asgardian." Thanos said, chuckling.

"Well for one thing, I'm not Asgardian." Loki mocked. "And for another...we have a Hulk." Loki repeated the line that Tony Stark had said to him all those years ago and ducked as the Hulk tore towards Thanos, dropping the Tesseract and grabbing Thor out of the way.

"Are you okay?" Loki asked Thor as the fight raged on.

"You took the Tesseract?" Thor asked in pain and disbelieve. "What were you thinking?"

"In my defense, I wasn't." Loki admitted, before looking around. "Stay here, I'm going to go check on Heimdall."

The God of mischief made his way around the chaos of the ship, briefly hearing something about letting someone have fun. He dropped to his knees beside Heimdall and placed his hand over the wound in the man's side.