Explanations

The boys listened concertedly as I explained how I came to be at the bus stop, often interrupting to comment in horror or rage. "My father k-k-killed my mother. I saw him do it. They fought a lot and that night I thought it was just another fight, but my mother was screaming a lot shrilled than usual. I-I-I crept downstairs and peeked around the corner. My father was beating her face in with a baseball bat. I tried to go back upstairs, but I guess he heard me or something. He knew I knew. H-h-he tried to kill me. As I ran out the door, he told me that he would kill me if it was the last thing he did. I r-r-ran away 3 days ago and I haven't eaten since then. I'm so tired and h-h-hungry...." I dissolved into sobs again.

The oldest boy whipped out his cell phone and spoke into it. "Bring the car to the alley by the old bakery, ASAP." I kept sobbing as the boys talked among themselves, presumably about what to do with me. Finally the black SUV rolled up to the alley entrance, and one of the boys ran to the window of the car. The window rolled smoothly down and for about three minutes the boy and the occupant(s) of the car conversed. Finally the boy came back. He spoke to me gently. "You're going to go home with us. We will take care of you and keep you safe from your father."

I don't know why I trusted them, but I did. Two of the boys helped me up and then I began to walk to the car. About halfway there, I stumbled and fell to the ground. Then everything went black.