Ch. 44: I don't give a fuck

Start from the beginning

Jace and Phoenix were in matching pajamas in a bricklike pattern with a roaring fireplace on their asses - most definitely a Jace choice. Cracker's was a Santa suit look alike, whereas Alyssa wore something resembling a huge snowflake.

Vasili wore one with a reindeer on his stomach and antlers up his shoulders. Oleksander was in one with little dancing elves and colorful presents.

Even Phoenix's parents were in on the joke.

They all looked hilariously stupid.

Mackenzie had wondered why Zariyah, Gareth's mother, had not arrived. She had looked forward to seeing her. But Gareth had explained that Russian Christmas got celebrated on January seventh and she would come for that.

"Ok, I think we're all here," Gareth called for attention when Natalya and the rest of the staff joined them in their equally ugly Christmas jammies. "Most of you know the traditions, but I'll recap for the ones new to this. We take turns opening one present while everybody watches. After that, it's a free for all."

All of them put their names in two different cookie jars and a name got drawn from each. One, to bravely go into the heap of presents to find one for the other name drawn.

"Ok, here we go." Gareth drew a name from the first jar. "Denisoff."

Denisoff, a younger member in a red onesie with antlers on the hood, scoffed and stood up, walking into the sea of presents. Waiting to know who he needed to find a present for.

"Konstantin," Gareth said when he picked a name from the other one.

People shouted out presents they had in the piles for Konstantin. Denisoff rummaged around until he found one and handed it to Konstantin.

It was a bottle of brandy.

Names got drawn and presents opened, while everybody excitedly followed everything. Some presents were plain stupid, others were great things for the person and bought with consideration.

"Mackenzie," Gareth said and looked to Piotr, who stood in the present pile. "The big blue one at the back, the one with the red bow," Gareth instructed.

With eager grabby hands, Mackenzie took the present from Piotr when he had carried it to her. She had patiently awaited her turn, but she wanted presents. She ripped the paper with excitement and looked at the box. It was from Olivier's. Carefully, she opened it and stood up, pulling the dress from the box.

A lavender satin dress with a tight bodice and form-fitting top with thin straps adorned with little embroideries. The skirt flowed in soft waves with a sexy slit on the left side.

"For New Year's maybe, Malyshka?" Gareth looked to Mackenzie for approval of his choice.

He had spent hours with Olivier at his boutique, looking at dress after dress, trying to pick something for Mackenzie, but not happy with any of them. Olivier had been so happy with presenting ideas to Gareth and his picky personality that he had suggested another solution. Together they had ended with Olivier designing the lavender dress, especially for Mackenzie.

"I love it." Mackenzie hugged the dress like a little girl and turned to Gareth, who sheepishly stood there and waited for judgment. "And I love you."

"All for you. I love you." Gareth kissed her with no shame in front of everybody, relieved he had aced the dress shopping. He might get better at the shopping thing with more tries, but his confidence was not there yet. Every time he bought Mackenzie something, he got nervous and second-guessed himself.

"Aww, if you two get any sweeter, I'd need a dentist because I'd get cavities." Jace smiled smugly.

The slap from Phoenix came promptly after.