Chapter 53

"His Royal Highness," Seo announced.

Athlea looked over her shoulder, her eyes soft. "Zuko." She blinked.

Zuko walked in, smiling a little. "Hey," he said. "How are you feeling?" He sat on the edge of the bathtub, his back facing her, looking over his shoulder.

Athlea raised an eyebrow. "This is nothing you haven't seen," she giggled. She grabbed his hand, getting water on it. "Don't make you pull me in."

Zuko raised his eyebrows, turning toward her. "Don't make me jump in," he responded quietly, smiling. Athlea giggled.

Her tone went from teasing to serious. "Zuko... I want to apologize," she said calmly, looking up at him.

He shook his head. "I owe you one as well. I didn't realize you felt coddled. I was just trying to help myself by, well, helping you. We're all doing our best and this has just gotten out of hand."

Athlea took both of his hands in hers, squeezing gently, her blue-green eyes on him. "You didn't know," she said. "And I myself reacted wrongly. No one is in the right." She giggled. "Now come here and give me a kiss."

"I know," he said softly. He leaned down and tilted her chin up to kiss her, one arm braced against the other side of the tub.

She smiled, her hands moving to the sides of his neck and her eyes closing. Her hands slid down to his shirt and she gave him a tug. Athlea opened her eyes, seeing his arm, keeping her from pulling him in. "You're one step ahead of me, huh?" she said against his lips.

Zuko smirked against her lips, giving them a quick kiss. "I know your tricks," he murmured, his eyes closed.

Athlea smiled. "You truly do, but too bad..." Her hands gripped onto his shirt again, pulling with more force. "'Cause I want you in." She pulled him into the water, spilling some onto the floor, and giggled, splashing a bit of water his way.

Zuko had braced his arm so that he rolled over her instead of crushing her. He groaned, rubbing his back. "I fully expected that," he muttered.

"Let's try to communicate more. I don't like arguing with you." She slid closer, taking his crown off and moving it to a table.

"Us? Communicate?" he asked, smirking. "Two fire benders? Yeah, right." He laughed, then added more seriously, "Yeah, we'll give that a try."

Athlea giggled, leaning closer and touching their noses together. She bit her lower lip. "We should. I hate arguing."

"Me too," he murmured. After a moment, he pulled his hand from the water, flicking it and making a face. "Yikes, woman. How hot do you need your water?"

Athlea blinked and then laughed. "It's hot because I'm in it. Although I think it's even warmer with you in here." She gave him a playful wink, leaning forward to take his shirt off.

Zuko smirked. "Oh, really?" he laughed.

She pressed her hands against his bare chest and smiled, kissing his cheek. After a pause, she admitted, "I feel happy."

He put his hands on her waist and rested his cheek against hers. "Good," he murmured. "And... I guess you can work this week." He gave her a mischievous grin.

Athlea smiled softly. "I see Tease Lord Zuko is back," she said playfully.

"I'm not teasing you," he protested, tazing her.

"We have a lot to discuss this week, especially a new proposition I came up with." She kissed his cheek again before moving to his neck, giving him a few soft kisses, and he hummed sleepily.