Chapter 15

"Over there!" Katara shouted, pointing toward the festival entrance. The second the guards turned, she grabbed Aang and Toph and half-jumped over the table. She shoved them forward, then dragged Sokka behind her. "Go!" she said quietly and urgently. "And no bending!"

The guards turned around again, and the lead one shouted, "Don't let them get away!" They began to pursue Katara and the others, the crowd backing away to let them pass. Katara urged them on; anyone who got in front of them would be knocked to the ground.

Sokka was looking forward, running. "Who knows...?" he asked, panting.

"I don't know!" Aang responded as they ran.

"Someone snitched on us," Sokka muttered.

Katara turned her head just in time to see Athlea and Zuko; they had appeared in one of the alleys. She spread her arms out, slowing the others. "Time to go!" she called to the firebenders, changing directions and running toward them. "Know a way out of here?" she asked Athlea, breathing heavily. "Only you and Zuko can bend, or they'll know it's us for sure."

Zuko flipped his hood up, eyes narrowing. "Let's go," he muttered, running forward in the opposite direction of Athlea. He led them along the water's edge. "Katara, Aang, give us fog," he ordered. "Toph, if the guards get close to anyone, discreetly knock them off balance. Do the best you can with all these people around."

Katara glared at him, despite the fact that she was pulling in a fog alongside Aang. "We shouldn't bend," she pointed out. By the time the guards broke through the crowd, the shore was covered in a thick fog.

Aang glanced around. Athlea had a guard's spear in her hand, the guard on his knees in front of her; the other guards were a ways behind him, struggling to catch up through the fog. Aang's eyes went wide. "Athlea?" he called, stopping.

Katara gently grabbed Aang's shoulder. "Please Aang, just go," she begged. She and Sokka dragged him away.

A moment later, the taste of smoke tainted the air. Athlea had made them more cover; it was good, considering they needed it, having to swerve away from the shore now. Zuko looked back at Athlea anxiously, then continued on. They passed the festival arch entrance, which was about a mile to their right, and kept running until they reached the bus stop.

"We wait here," Zuko said firmly.

Katara agreed, for once. "If she's not here in half an hour, we leave to find her," she put in, breathing heavy. Zuko nodded. They waited there anxiously, staring in the direction of the festival. Over time, three buses stopped and continued on again, passing them by.

"Guys... she isn't turning up," Aang said. He was seated on the bus bench, eyebrows furrowed with worry.

"Sh... Someone's coming," Toph said.

Athlea was approaching in the distance, walking casually, while throwing away what it seemed to be a spear and a mask, both in different directions. Her hair was tied up in a ponytail. She stopped and stood there, hands on her hips. "What?" she asked.

"We thought you died!" Sokka said loudly, his hands on the sides of his head, eyes wide.

Athlea's lips turned up into a little smirk. "Me? Dying? ...Never," she said with a tint of confidence, her eyes moving to them all, and then Zuko. His cheeks turned red, and he looked away. "Everyone okay?" she asked.

"Are you okay?" Aang asked, still worried, as he stood up.

"We're glad you're okay," Katara said anxiously. She was still seated on the bench, her hands folded in her laps. "And yes, we're all okay." She stood and placed a hand on Athlea's upper back, eyes wide with worry. "Thanks for the smoke cover. We needed it."

"Guys, another bus is coming--we should get going." Toph advised.

"Yes, please," Sokka whined. "I ate and I ran, and I'm sticky. I need a shower."

"Let's get back to your house," Zuko murmured, looking Athlea up and down. He flicked his wrist and a small flame appeared in his hand. He could maintain it, but that was it. He sighed and made a grabbing motion at the flame, turning his arm over, eyes frustrated. Athlea watched, raising an eyebrow, but she didn't say anything.

Zuko got on the bus first. Katara followed the other three, getting on before Athlea. The bus took them to her Uncle's, and they stumbled off, exhausted. Katara glanced at Aang. "I'm gonna go take a walk in the garden," she said softly.

Sokka rushed ahead of everyone, walking quickly. "Bathroom is mine!" Athlea watched him, and Aang chuckled.

Katara laughed softly as she walked away. "Nobody is stopping you, stinky."

"He's going to sleep like a log," Aang said.

"And snore loudly," Toph commented.

"We all are." Katara turned around toward them. She poked Toph. "C'mon, leave him alone. You're the heavy snorer." She turned toward the garden again, taking a deep breath.

Aang's eyes widened, and he blinked. "Damnit..." he mumbled.

Zuko waited for Athlea once he was off the bus. "I wish I could have helped you," he murmured. "Are you alright?"

"Of course I am. Your guards can't really stop me." She giggled as they entered the house. "Are you okay?" Her face turned more serious, her eyes concerned.

He rolled his eyes. "They're not my guards, Master Athlea," he teased. Athlea giggled softly, rolling her eyes and smiling. "And yes. Just irritated that I couldn't do anything. Aang and Katara helped as usual, though." He ran a hand through his hair, sitting on his temporary bed with his elbows on his thighs.

Athlea looked at Zuko and slightly tilted her head to the side. She glanced at the others as they headed for the house, Katara for the garden. "I saw your small flame," she pointed out. "I think we should force it a bit if it's there. We need your determination." She nodded and smiled.

Zuko nodded. "It's something," he agreed, "but not a whole lot." He met her gaze, smiling. "Let's work on that tomorrow."

Athlea let out a sigh and let her hair down from the ponytail. She approached him and sat down on his temporary bed in front of him. Her blue eyes remained on him for a second. Zuko narrowed his eyes. She glanced around. Aang had gone outside to the garden with Katara. Sokka was singing his heart out in the bathroom upstairs. Athlea leaned in to give him a quick peck on the lips, her hand moving to the side of his neck before she pulled away and looked at him. He raised an eyebrow, smirking. "You'll be able to get your bending back. And then..." Zuko leaned forward, moving to grab her waist, but she grabbed him by the shirt, pulling him closer. He blushed and hesitated, then leaned back a bit. "...we can have a mini fire spar." She giggled softly.

"Sounds scary," he chuckled, brushing a strand of hair out of her face.

Athlea looked into his eyes smiling. "Scary?" she asked, raising an eyebrow, bringing herself closer, their faces inches away. "Consider it a friendly, mini spar. I won't hurt you, promise." She giggled.

"Is that what you told those guards?" he laughed.

Athlea giggled. "Mmm... Apparently the people enjoyed the good show. 'Mysterious girl goes against the guards'; I can just see the headlines on the news tomorrow."

***

A/N eh? Thea in action, eh? what do y'all think? she's pretty badass. my girl would probably cry over a baby wearing a cute outfit but not over ripping someone's heart out, ngl