Ch. 5

During class the next day, Samwise smiled at me. 

I smiled back.

I ended up telling him who I was, I didn't tell him my power though. Or if it was more or less dark than his. He told me I could talk to him anytime, in person or by messaging, and he'd do his best to help me accept my power. I was really thankful. Like so thankful I was tempted to tell him... but I couldn't. Not yet.

**

"Hey," I greeted Finn as he walked into our room.

"Bro."

"Yeah?"

He smiled, "Do you know how many people are trying to guess your power? Like everyone! People are making bets and crap!"

I felt my eyes widen, "What? Why?"

He sat down next to me on my bed, "Because you're the first new kid to not tell anyone your power. Some people are saying it's probably embarrassing, others are saying you're like a powerful god or something and don't want to be treated differently, and there are so many other theories. We, your friends, have been getting ambushed by people asking us what your power is."

I groaned and put a pillow over my face, "I don't want all of this attention..."

He laughed, "Then tell people your power. Easy-peasy."

I rolled my eyes before I put my pillow in my lap, "Not easy-peasy."

We were silent for a second before he asked, "Hey, can I ask you something?"

"You just did but sure," I said with a small smile.

He laughed, "Good one. But seriously, why don't you want to tell anyone what your power is? Even if it's something lame like you're a cupcake shifter, it's not a big deal."

**

"What's it like to be able to control light energy?"

"Manipulate," she corrected.

I laughed a little, "Yeah, that."

Eira shrugged, "I don't really know. I'm so used to it that it's hard to describe."

"Do you use your powers often?"

"Yeah sometimes. But it takes a good deal of energy so I can't use it too often."

That was the same with dark energy manipulation. Not that I used my powers often enough to be able to drain all of my energy. 

"Well, how does it work?"

She smiled, "What's with all the questions?"

I shrugged, "Manipulating energy sounds cool, I wanted to learn more about it."

"It is cool in a way but you need to be careful with it."

"What do you mean?"

"There's light energy manipulation and dark energy manipulation. If you don't have enough control, it's hard to predict what will happen. Especially with dark energy."

"Oh."

"Now I have a question for you."

"Yeah?"

She looked at me for a second, "Your magic. Are you a shifter or do you have powers? Or both?"

I looked away, "Powers."

She put her hand on my shoulder, "Arion... are you okay? You seem to have a really difficult relationship with your magic. I've noticed for a while and I'm getting worried."

I bit my lip and looked around. No one was around us.

"If you guys found out my power you wouldn't want to be friends with me anymore."

She pulled me into her arms and hugged me, "Arion, there is no way that would happen. I don't care if you say your power is someone dies every time you sneeze, you are one of us now."

I laughed a little and hugged her back, "That's not my power, don't worry..."

"You know your power doesn't define you, right?"

"That's what I hear. I'm not sure I really believe it though."

**

I walked out of the closet, black whisps still surrounding me because I traveled a long way to go back home, my eyes still probably red. I heard another door and then I turned around and came face to face with Finn.

He gasped and dropped his book.

In a panic, I ran into the bathroom and locked the door. I looked in the mirror and felt my heart crumble. My eyes were still blood red, black smoke rolling off of me. Finn saw me like that...

Maybe thirty minutes later, I had calmed down and just been hiding out, I heard a knock on the door.

It was quiet for a second before there was another knock and I heard Eira's voice, "Arion, are you okay?"

I stayed silent.

"I'm all for privacy, but please don't make me pick the lock."

I sighed then I stood up and unlocked the door then walked to the other end of the bathroom.

Eira and Finn both walked in.

I put my hand up, "Don't get too close..."

Eira's face softened, "Arion, do you remember what I told you about your powers?"

I didn't say anything... even though the answer to her question was yes.

"I told you, that even if you kill someone every time you sneeze, we would still be your friends. And your powers do not define you."

I shook my head, "I'm a monster... Finn saw me... like that..."

"Arion, don't say that. I was just shocked because I wasn't expecting it. You aren't a monster," Finn said softly.

I shook my head again, "Please turn the light off... let me run away..."

"I'm sorry but we aren't going to do that," Eira said as she took steps closer to me.

I couldn't get any words out before she was in front of me and she wrapped her arms around me tightly in a hug. That was when I broke down in tears.

"I am a m-monster... h-how can you still want to be friends with me?"

Finn came over and hugged me too, "Because you are a great person, man. You aren't a monster, not even close."

"Eira... you should hate m-me... I'm a dark energy manipulator. We're opposites. You're good, I'm evil."

She shook her head, "That's not how it works, friend of mine. So what if our powers are opposite of each other? It just means if either of us screws up, the other can cancel out the screw-up. You are not evil. You are the sweetest person I have ever met."