Favourite Friday

"Salads suck, and whoever says otherwise is just trying reverse psychology on themselves," I'd tossed together a lettuce concoction, too mortified by last Friday's visit to the Pizza shop to order my usual pepperoni treat.

I'd poured my heart out to strangers, gone home and eaten my pizza with a box of tissues and Pretty Women playing on loop. I was munching away begrudgingly on a piece of tomato when the doorbell rang. Taking my time to answer it, I was confused when there was no one in sight.

"Fun times," I sighed, really thinking I must have been losing it when my foot kicked into something on the welcome mat.

It was a pizza box, I knew the square cardboard shape well. Bending down I picked it up intrigued since it was from the local shop on the corner. Looking around the apartment blocks I couldn't spot anyone in the recognisable uniform, so I closed the door after a while and placed it on the kitchen bench. I was a little dubious at the start but decided to open it slowly.

Inside there was a love heart shaped pepperoni pizza, the cheese practically overflowing on the crisp dough base and on it was a small note. It read:

'Since we've been having pizza every Friday night for the last few months why break tradition?

Come join me at our spot.

-Neo

I picked up the pizza and practically ran out the door in my pj's and bed socks. The sun was just going down, so I was able to make my way over quickly. I went to the grass area out the front, but no one was there and just when I'd given up, there he was, sitting on one of the swings with his back to me. Across the street in the park, he looked at ease, gently moving back and forth looking out at the Jacaranda trees.

"Why did you come?" I wiped a tear that was tickling my cheek with my sleeve. Funny, I never thought I'd be the blubbering type, but that pizza love heart hit me hard.

He boosted himself up as soon as he heard my voice then turned to me more at ease, "You're quite the talk at the shop, from startling Gary with your swimming gear to practically melting down on poor Mikey, but you're our best customer," he smiled kicking the grass a little, "I mean there's not too many people who order extra cheese, and that adds up you know."

I blushed, and although I was embarrassed, I was happy I'd been open to the delivery dudes because they'd been the Cupids of my tale, "Who'd have thought, delivery dudes are quite the romantics?"

I opened the pizza and we shared it, sitting, enjoying the silence together as we ate on the swings. It was so perfect, I wanted to capture this moment and stretch it out to last forever.

"Well I better enjoy it," I took my last bite, savouring it, "There's no reason to order anymore now that I have you."

"It's not about replacing the thing you love with something else," Neo pulled me closer, "It's about finding someone to share it with."

What followed was a kiss that felt like popping candy, exciting and new. A kiss that I'd never grow tired off. A kiss that made me feel more warm and secure than any cheesy base ever would.

"You've stolen a pizza my heart."