Forewarning Friday

"Well I've heard of invisible guitars but violins?" Neo's annoyingly perfect face greeted me.

I was holding a violin bow in my hand, having put down the instrument to answer the door, "Music club," I waved it as if it were a wand, "I got into orchestra, I don't know how, they must be desperate."

"No need to be humble, you might just be a Mozart in the waiting," he unzipped the pizza bag and pulled mine out.

He was acting so causal and all I was trying to do was get past the feelings I had felt so deeply last week. We were doing the classic thing where there's subtext behind every phrase and I never thought I'd be someone who'd just go along with that, but I guess I am because I was smiling like a complete guppy.

I took the pizza gladly, the aroma of creamy cheese and spicy pepperoni making my mouth water. Once I had it in my hands, we both stood there awkwardly for a moment. I'd been nervous the whole week, wondering how the kiss last Friday would change our relationship from purely witty banter to something more and how our choice words were going to somehow make pizza taste like ash. Luckily, pizza was still yummy.

"You clean up nicely," he broke the silence, gesturing to the blazer and pencil skirt I had worn for a small performance we had during the day.

"Thanks," I was being blunt.

He rocked on his heels, with his arms crossed, pushing his muscles out, "So, no cello players?"

"Is this what we're doing now?" I shook my head, "Really?"

Now it was awkward. It used to be fun talking to Neo about other boys, but I could see deep down behind his carefree demeanour he didn't want to know the truth.

"Yes," he plainly stated.

I rolled my eyes and decided to answer his question with a, "No." I attempted a faint smile, holding the pizza close to me, as if it would give me the confidence to just have it out, "But there was a drummer."

"Ah," Neo stretched his neck, and I could tell he wasn't expecting such a quick response.

"I mean we never talked about what this meant," I seemed to blurt out, "And I didn't know..."

"Enjoy the pizza Evie," he just smiled and picked up his bag.

I watched as he started to walk off, feeling sick to my stomach when he turned back.

I hoped for a second it was going to make everything between us normal again but all he said was, "It's got extra cheese," with a short side smile before making his way to his delivery motorbike.

"Wait, Neo," I left my apartment chasing after him, kicking off my black heels to get to him quicker. I didn't understand why I was the one running after him, it was as if we were constantly playing a game of chasey.

When I pulled up to his side he was already seated on the bike, "You ride?" I was slightly impressed I'd assumed he delivered in a car.

He just rested his helmet on his lap, looking forward, not really in the mood for small talk.

"Neo," I walked in front of him, so he'd look me in the face, "I wasn't the one who stopped this," I gestured between us, "But I don't see why we can't just talk normally like we used to. Friend to friend."

"You know I came here tonight..." he stopped, "Never mind, it's better this way."

I shook my head, "Neo, I don't want to play games."

"Clearly not with me," he grinned sarcastically, before sitting up a bit straighter, "Can I offer some advice then, friend to friend?"

I nodded although he was entirely vexing.

"When you realise this drummer guy's a player, and not the musical type, don't order a pizza for comfort," with that he put his helmet on, revved the engine, and took off, past me.

"I'd rather have leftover pizza than leftover feelings."

- Sarah Burgess