23| Breaching worries

I want to inform you all, that this is still a Seongjoong book-

Trees were standing naked everywhere, looking more lifeless than ever. It was almost as if he already could feel the snow falling from the skies. His fingers were tightly braided into the girl's hand, but his thoughts kept wandering toward another path. He really felt bad about it, when he for the nth time dragged himself into reality again. After all, this wasn't Emma's fault.

Lightly, the girl pushed to him with her arm, a giggle escaping her lips when Seonghwa reacted with a startling sound. She smiled up at him, her cute gap between her front teeth on display.

"So what are you going to gift Hongjoong this year?" she asked excitedly and began swinging their arms back and forth.

He distorted his face, "Please don't bring his name up..."

Her smile faded as she furrowed her brows questioning, "Oh... Are you two on bad terms with each other?"

He thought about it for a second while turning his face away. Gosh, he hated this.

"Kind of? I don't know."

They stopped by a bench and sat down for a moment. Seonghwa dragged Emma closer into his arms and they silently watched the huge river in front of them. Emma leaned her head against Seonghwa's shoulder, and the latter smiled softly.

"It's a long time since we last did this," the girl hummed.

She was right, it really was a long time ago they spent a day together. He guessed it was his fault.

Guilt hit him harder, and he harshly gulped, "Yeah, I'm sorry."

Surprised Emma raised herself from his shoulder and turned around, facing the older when she heard how his voice cracked. Seonghwa immediately had turned his head away, but the girl had already seen it.

"You know, not everything in life will be perfect," she then said, and the boy turned his head in the direction of her.

"Not everything will come out like what you thought it to be like."

Emma's eyes fell deep onto the river like she was lost in her thoughts. Seonghwa wrinkled his brows in confusion as he tried to figure out what she meant by what she just said.

She let out a little sigh and cuddled further into his arm, "Sometimes I wonder... How humans want to predict their purpose differently, when we already know it all will end at some time"

She was quiet for a moment, clouds of hot breath escaping her slightly parted lips, "but then I remember humans have feelings. And they're simply too stupid to forget about these and let their minds act from whatever they have to feel."

The cold air bit at his cheeks as he was a little confused about it all. She only ever said things like this when...

"Emma... Are you sad?"

His brown orbs were concerned/ directed at her fragile form/ leaning on him when he saw how she finally let into the feeling. She closed her eyes and nodded into his side.

I dreamed about ... He was there too .. he

Seonghwa let out a sigh before turning her into his comforting arms and wrapping her small body with his coat. Emma's head rested on his chest while her hands uncomfortable with her own emotions fiddled with the buttons on her jacket. Time didn't mind anything at that moment. Even if the cold wind would freeze his hands to death, he still caressed her red-chilly cheeks softly. His heart hurt just seeing her small form so vulnerable. Had he really done this to her? Her soft eyes glinted with stars, and he didn't deserve one single sight of any of them. Seonghwa thought intensely like thinking would make up to any of the world's faults. Was this fate? Had he really saved someone in his earlier life to get the chance to lay his eyes at the pure peace in his arms?

The man didn't want to seem too pathetic at the moment, so he aggressively blinked his tears away.

"I'm really sorry Emma," he whispered, barely louder than the wind itself.

Seonghwa kissed the top of her head, even though her dark grey beanie was covering her head. When he felt the sting in his fingertips, he knew they had to go somewhere warmer before one of them would catch a cold.

"Come on Em, let's head back to the car and go home," he said before lifting them both up on their feet.

But she didn't let go of him. He frowned slightly, hugging her even tighter.

____

On their way home the girl had fallen asleep with her head leaning against the pane of the car door. He really didn't want to bother waking her up, so he prayed that Mrs. and Mr. Choi wouldn't get mad at any of them when he sent them the message that Emma would be sleeping at his for the night.

He parked the car and got out to pick up Emma from the opposite side of the car. For a second he glanced around the dark residential area. No one was around at this time of the day anyway, so looked away again. Seonghwa opened for the door, careful about not hurting the girl, and then he clicked her seatbelt and he drew a hand under her arms and knees before lifting her into his arms. She didn't stir the slightest, and that made him wonder if she had gotten any sleep in the recent days. School must be hard at the moment... although Seonghwa had a feeling that wasn't the case...

A little complicated he managed to open the locked door and get in with the sleeping girl. Sleeping beauty... He wanted to kiss her red lips.

Eventually, he kicked his shoes off and went further into the house, only searching for one specific room. He touched the socket with an elbow and stepped into his bedroom, placing the girl down across the bed, her feet dangling over the contour. Swiftly he took off her shoes and went for her jacket and beanie. After struggling a little with wrapping her arms out of the material, he finally made it and left the room to put all the things in place in the wardrobe. On the way back he brushed his teeth and did his business, not feeling for any dinner anyway. Then he headed for his bedroom, shifting into some more comfortable clothes. His eyes wandered over at the sleeping girl while he wondered albeit he should help her into something else or that would be breaching a boundary. He decided her clothes were comfortable enough to sleep in and instead forgot about the thought again.

Seonghwa reached for Emma again and slowly moved her a little over, so there was a place for him to lay down beside her.

It still felt a little awkward, though he had laid down beside her many times before, so he quickly tried to shake the feeling of him and pull the soft duvet over them both.

He didn't know what was holding him back from doing it. Was it the drilling guilt? Or just the foreign situation? They hadn't slept in the same bed before and perhaps it was just the respect he held for the girl and her comfy.

A startle went through him when he suddenly and very unexpectedly felt a pair of arms reach for him and a snuggly cute cheek moving into his chest. If his worries hadn't melted at that very moment, he didn't know what had happened with him then.