"Where is Lamont?"

"Gone," Officer Kelly informed his partner.

Officer Jesso looked at John.

"So we lost him?"

John shook his head.

"He took off, but as far as I am concerned, he is as good as dead."

"Why?"

"Jackson doesn't have the training to handle this kind of weather. For fuck sakes, I wouldn't take the chopper up in this. It is pure suicide. He won't be able to see a thing."

Officer Jesso slowly got to his feet.

"So what do we do now? Where would he try to get?"

John shrugged.

"Maybe Stephenville. He could land and refuel there, but he is flying blind. His GPS and equipment might help him, but he doesn't have the skill to handle that bird in weather like this."

John shook his head.

"Best ride out this storm and then go looking for the wreckage."

"You don't hold out any chance he will make it?"

"Well let's just put it this way. He has about as much chance as a snowball in hell, pardon my pun."

Officer Jesso took out his cellphone and called Commander Lukeman.

~~~~~

Jackson fought with the controls of the helicopter, as he struggled to find some landmark that he could fly by.

His plan was to fly along the coastline and hopefully find his way to Deer Lake or Corner Brook. But his lack of experience and unfamiliarity with the coastline was causing him more trouble than he expected.

He had hoped to be able to get through the storm before it covered the west coast, but the longer he flew, the more it became evident that he had massively misunderstood the effect of the North Atlantic on the severity of storms.

Though a confident, if not arrogant man, he was quickly realizing that he was in way over his head.

Jackson picked up the microphone from its cradle.

"This is helicopter ALB445, on a flight from St. Anthony to Deer Lake. I have encountered heavy weather and am in need of assistance."