Chapter 7 Ok...

"Wait wait wait! Hold on...Back up, and stop. YOU WHAT?" Grover shouted at me as we continued down the road on foot...cuz no money means no ride. Makes sense I guess, we are in the states, which are all about capitalism...yay us.

"I fought alongside the titans in the last war yeah, again not by..."

"Not by choice yeah I get it but still..."

"Wait, if you fought against the gods...shouldn't you be like..." Percy began and I looked at him.

"Dead? Banished? Something like that?" I asked knowingly.

"Yeah...no offense."

"None taken. You're right though, I should be. The only reason I'm not is because I ran and I hid. During the final battle, I bolted. And I guess the gods never came looking that hard."

"Why? Why didn't you stay and fight? Did you know the titans were gonna lose? " Percy asked with what sounded like genuine curiosity. I looked at him and then looked down at the road with a quiet sigh.

"I...I..no. I didn't know...I just..."

"You were scared, weren't you?" Annabeth answered for me, throwing a glance back at me. "You just don't seem like the warrior type, so I figured..." She added with an indifferent shrug.

"You're right on both accounts, yeah. I was scared. No, scared is the wrong word. I was terrified." I said with a nod. "I still am," I muttered the last bit quietly looking back down. I felt Andrew squeeze my hand. Looking over at him, his act of affection making me smile. "And like you said, I'm not a warrior, never was, never wanted to be, and never will be."

"But you fought," Grover said and I nodded.

"I did," I agreed with a nod. "A grand total of 4 times over ten years I fought. It was before the Olympians had their weapons too and I only fought until I could get away. Never even fought with lethal intent either, so it's not by any means anything impressive. The rest of the time I was either healing or protecting."

"Healing and protecting who?" Percy asked I guess confused about what needed protecting in a war between divine beings. "I could be wrong, but you don't seem like you're very pro titan."

"I wasn't, I'm not, no, I..." began but wasn't sure how to phrase the truth without sounding condescending. As I struggled to find the words, Andrew actually answered for me.

"You were protecting us, the mortals. Right?'

Annabeth looked back again this time with Grover, I guess surprised at the idea that a titan would go so far for mortals.

"Why? Why did or do you care so much about us?"

"Because honestly, nothing else really does. And you guys deserve it in my opinion, you guys deserve so much more than what you have. Sure some other divine beings do in specific cases, but not humanity as a whole. I guess Prometheus did in a way to be fair. but not titans, not monsters, not giants, and best I can tell even the Olympian gods themselves seem indifferent to humanity. I saw amazing things humans wanted, dreamt of, and in many cases, accomplished. Thing's immortals could do easily, with a single thought. But things that a mortal would and did struggle with despite wanting them so bad. I don't know how to put it, I saw and see you guys as a bunch of gems in a somewhat dirty lake. After watching you all for as long as I did...Well, I came to care about you guys, arguably probably more than I should. But even so, sometimes we all just need a little push, a little help."

"As I said. Sensitive softy," Andrew grinned down at me with a nudge from his side.

"Why tell us all this?" Annabeth asked looking back at me again and I blinked at her.