Home Truths

“I think we need to talk, don't you?” The visitor grinned at the look of shock on his oldest friends face as he let himself into the lounge. Well he had better buckle up, because no one could lay down the law like a Taylor.

To say that he’d been surprised to receive a call from Sally Tracy requesting his presence was an understatement, but after eight years of thinking his friend was dead he was more than happy to drop everything at a moment's notice to spend more time with him. He’d been conscious of the fact that it was more important for Jeff’s sons and family to see him than it was for him so after their initial, and very emotional, reunion, he’d stepped back and waited to be invited, not wanting to step on any toes. He’d thought it important for Jeff to find his place within the family again but from what Mrs Tracy had said on the phone Jeff had been trying a bit too hard. He hadn’t found his place, he’d stolen one.

“Lee Taylor,” Jeff smiled, pushing his chair back from his desk and getting to his feet. “Great to see you, though it’s a little late for a social call.”

“Late schmate, late is the perfect time when whisky is involved,” Lee held up the bottle he’d brought with him as evidence of his claim.

Jeff groaned goodnaturedly, but still opened his desk drawer to take out two glass tumblers, sliding one across the desk in invitation. “Then fill em up.”

The first gulp went down a little roughly, causing Jeff to wheeze. It had been a long time since he’d drunk neat liquor like that, but the second was smoother and he was able to take his time and appreciate the smokey, woodsy taste of the aged malt.

By the end of the first glass they were both deep into the reminiscing and laughing at the memories of their youthful exploits.

“So,” Jeff began. “I heard that you’ve been keeping yourself busy since your retirement.”

“Indeed I have, you know me, I don’t like to sit on the sidelines, I like to be where the action is.”

“I hear that, I’ve been trying to get back in on the action myself, but do you find that you still miss the old days?”

“Yeah, I do, but you know something, these new days, they aint so bad. You gotta move with the times or get lost in the past.”

“The past doesn’t sound too bad to me,” Jeff mused, running the tip of one finger around his glass.

“If it wasn’t for your boys I’d be dead because I was clinging to the past,” Lee reminded him.

“I highly doubt that,” Jeff chuckled. “Not much could take you out.”

“They say there’s no fool like an old fool, Tracy, and I was being an old fool,” Lee shrugged, unashamed to admit it. “I refused to leave Alfie even though in my heart I knew I should have given up on him long ago, but he was a link, you know? Something we built together.”

“Yeah, I get it,” Jeff sighed. “Things you build are often the hardest to leave behind.”

“Yeah, they are, but sometimes it’s necessary,” he sipped his drink, debating for a second on the best way to approach the situation. Sally had warned him that Jeff was at his most stubborn and wouldn't be easy to approach. But then again, when had he ever been subtle? “So, I hear you’ve been taking the role of an old fool too seriously?”