Look To The Stars

"Welcome to my world."

She shuffled them closer to the glass, her gloved hands leaving no prints as her eyes devoured the sight. It looked like something from a movie, real yet abstract. It was hard to get your head around the fact that at that exact moment in time there were billions of people living, loving, working, sleeping on that floating globe. It was surreal, eerily beautiful and oddly peaceful.

Her brain struggled to make sense of what it was seeing, trying to think of a way to describe it. She could see large areas of the bluest oceans, the lushest greens, swirls of white misty clouds and dense area of darkness that lit up with speckled lights from millions of buildings and vehicles.

She dropped her hands and leant back against his chest, her eyes fixed on the view of the earth far below them. This was... she ran her fingers along his arm until she reached his hand, gripping it tight, smiling when he dropped a little kiss on the top of her head.

They say that there are moments in your life you'll never forget, good and bad, and this was definitely one of those moments. For as long as she lived she'd always be able to conjure up the vision of the world as it lay below them. As moments went it was pretty damned perfect.

"Hello, John."

Selene jumped out of her skin, slamming the top of her head into his chin as a high pitched, childlike voice spoke. "The fuck was that? Oh, shit, baby, I'm sorry! Are you OK?" She batted away his hand as he tried to rub the abused area and gently took hold of his chin, checking for damage, dropping a light kiss on it to make it better.

The creepiest giggle she'd ever had the displeasure of hearing echoed around them. She grabbed at his arm, lifting it up and pointing it at nothing, swinging it around like you would a gun. "This is it, the day I die. Honestly, I thought it would involve a stampede of some sort, or possibly a spell explosion, not being murdered in space but then I've always been difficult."

"No one is murdering you, and what are you doing?"

"Don't you have a death ray or something?" she ran her fingers around his wrist and shook his hand in a 'this thing on?' way.

"Why would I even need a death ray?"

"I don't know! Space Pirates? Aliens? Psychotic Space Invaders?"

She had no idea how he could be staying so calm when what was clearly a psychopath was rampaging about his ship.

"Seriously, dude," she whispered, not wanting the psycho to hear her, "this isn't right, don't you have intruder alarms or something?"

"I AM NOT AN INTRUDER!" the voice screeched.

"EOS! Stop that. That is not the way we greet people. You promised you'd behave."

That was EOS? She'd heard the others mention the name from time to time, but she'd thought it was an acronym for something like the GDF.

Something whirled above her head and a robotic arm with what looked like a security camera attached shot towards her face.

Selene yelped again and ducked. "Bitch, you crazy!"

John rolled his eyes, dragged the witch to her feet and tucked her behind him as he faced the camera.

"Selene, meet EOS, EOS, meet Selene."

"She looks strange, I've been watching her."

"That's not creepy at all..."

"I have read up on human traditions and I have learnt that it is customary to wear all black to funerals as a mark of respect. But she has attended no such function. Is she going to one soon?"