Day Out

"You have no idea what you've let yourself in for," John shook his head sadly, already imagining the trauma she'd soon be enduring and the earbashing he'd have to hear after. "I can't believe this was actually your idea."

"What can I say, you guys aren't the only ones that like to live dangerously."

"There's dangerous and then there's just plain crazy."

"You say that like it's a bad thing..."

He ignored that. "Just promise me one thing, don't let Alan talk you into anything, you're the adult."

"Pffft, give me some credit," Selene pouted, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I'll reserve judgement until you both get home in one piece."

She rolled her eyes. "I thought you were supposed to be the understanding one? Have a little faith in me and my ability to handle your brother."

"I do have faith i-"

"OH MY GOD, I WANNA COME TOO!"

John's eyes widened. "You're doomed, it was nice knowing you, I'll miss you." He gave her a quick goodbye kiss and shoved her out of his room, locking the door behind him.

"Fuck."

***

"I swear to the gods if you two try to swing me by my arms one more time, we're going home."

Gordon sniggered but let go of her hand. Alan didn't but she trusted him a little more than the other one.

How had she made the mistake of promising Alan they would have a day out and he could choose the activities? John was right, she couldn't be trusted to think for herself, she had a death wish. She was too stupid to live some days.

All she wanted to do was give the baby a little fun, a day out where he could be a kid and not have to worry about anything more than what to order at McDonald's. It had seemed like such a simple plan.

Parker had given her a sympathetic look when he'd driven them to the theme park. Honestly she appreciated it, because Virgil had dropped them off at the stately home with a wide grin and asked if he could have the donuts she'd left in the cupboard, since she wouldn't be needing them. She hadn't dignified that with an answer, besides, if he thought that Scott and John would leave them alone long enough to be there when he got back he was crazier than she was. Those two were like starving vultures.

Alan had chosen a theme park, which was fine with her, although she wasn't a massive fan of big rides or things that went zoom. Gordon had heard they were going and demanded he be allowed to tag along, she was powerless to resist any of them, let alone the two youngest when they turned those puppy dog eyes on her. She was weak, so very weak.

"Where are we starting?" Alan wanted to know, his eyes darting excitedly all over the map.

"Oh, aquarium!"

Figured Gordon would spot that and want to go.

"Sure, let's do the animals first then maybe some rides," Selene hedged, wondering if she could get away with pushing them onto some rides and just taking pictures from the sidelines.

"Cool!"

***

"Oh my God, how can you do that?"

"Do what?" Selene let the fluffy spider crawl across the back of her hand and onto the palm of her other.

"That, with that thing!" Alan pointed a shaking finger at the tarantula that was minding its own business as she cooed happily to it.

"Oh look at you, so pretty."