01| Key To My Heart

Start from the beginning

"You can open them now."

His eyelids ascended. His face lit up when his eyes landed on the small dessert in my hands.

"Happy fifteenth birthday, Blue!" I cheered, holding onto a small cupcake. "Strawberry cupcake, your favourite! I know this isn't much, this is all I could do and afford, but I baked it myself! So you have to like it!"

He chuckled again, it was music to my ears.

"Thanks Ales! I really appreciate it," he smiled and accepted my gift. His gorgeous smile slowly faded as he examined the cupcake in his hands. I frowned at his reaction.

"You... don't like it?" I asked, slightly disappointed in myself.

"No! Of course not! I love it! It's just-"

"It's just what?"

He let out a soft sign.

"Come here."

He placed the cupcake down and stretched out his arms towards me with a heartwarming smile. A shy smile surfaced on my face as I leaned in and hugged him. I rested the side of my head on his chest as he held me close. I could hear his steady heartbeat, and I could listen to it all day. I always felt this tingly sensation when he's around, and I got to admit, I love it.

I wonder if he feels the same way...

Who am I kidding? Of course not! He sees me as a friend, as someone in need. Nothing more, nothing less.

"Ales, I'm so tired of seeing everyone in school bully you, make fun of you, disrespect you. You have to learn to stand up and defend yourself! What... what if one day I wouldn't be there to help you anymore?" he asked, stopping in between his sentence. I raised an eyebrow at him as I pulled back slightly from the hug, just enough to look at him in the eyes.

"Standing up for myself? No way! That's just going to make them hate me more," I sighed. "Plus, you are not going to leave me, right?"

"I-" he paused. The corners of his lips raised weakly.

"Of course not."

There was certainly something wrong with Blue. I may be only fourteen at that time, but I know him very well, and he never acted this way.

What could possibly be going through his mind?

"I have something for you," he smiled and I tilted my head in confusion. He gently pulled back from the hug and reached for his pocket. I watched in anticipation as he pulled out a blue gift box.

"I want you to have this," he said, handing me the gift. "And whenever you look at it, I hope it reminds you of me. Remember, you are so much stronger than you think, and to me, you are perfect, inside out."

I opened the box with eagerness to know what was in there. My thumb curiously lifted the lid, my eyes followed as it raised. Laying stunningly in there was a necklace with a heart-shaped pendant. A keyhole perfectly cut out at the middle of the pendant.

"Blue... This is stunning! I love it! I love it! I love it! But today is your birthday. Why are you gifting me with this?" I asked, looking up at him.

"Spotted it in the mall a couple days ago. Thought it looked pretty so I wanted you to have it," he explained briefly and shrugged with a cute smile.

"Thank you! I love it!" I cheered. I took a deep breath, gathered all the courage I had, and surprised him with a tight hug. It was the first time I initiated a hug to a boy, and I was glad that it was with him.

He was a little taken back by my sudden motion, but he hugged me back. I smiled as I rested my chin on his shoulder. I was extremely happy that he gave me the necklace. He had no idea how much it means to me! But I could still feel the unusual uneasiness between us.