27: Marshmallow Pt. 1

Start from the beginning

Kal laughs, almost spitting out the strawberry he was eating. "Sum, he won't try to kill us or anything."

I drink some more of my water, my fingers almost sliding on the condensation before hey regain their grip. "If he does, I'll use you as a shield."

"I'll make sure to wear a shirt with a pocket and put a Nokia cell in there, then."

I snort. "Great, there was a chance you might die and you're ruining it."

"Hi kids, how's it going?"

Looking away from Kal, I notice Eliza walking towards us. Her hair is pulled up in a tight ponytail and she's wearing a T-shirt with the University of Pennsylvania logo on.

She was running and her face looks more like she fell head-first on a box of highlighter than sweating.

"You know, the usual. Were you with Christopher?"

Eliza rolls her eyes. "Right, as if." She winces. "No offence, Kal."

The tan boy chuckles. "None taken, he gets on my nerves, too. And by the way, I'm on your side about that Geometry test in freshman year. He won't ever stop saying how he didn't mean to copy from you but we all know he sucks at anything that has to do with Math."

Eliza lifts her hand up and Kal high-fives her. "I like you, even though you hurt my little brother."

I had no idea Eliza was so protective of Alex, or anyone at that.

Kal's face pales. "Eliza, I never wanted to-"

The girl waves her hand. "I don't want to hear it. I know what happened, Summer made sure to present to me all sides and I believe all of you had the best intentions at heart. The only thing remaining is for time to pass. It does heal all."

"You're in pre-Med and you say time heals all?"

Eliza rolls her eyes. "I'm only a junior." She swipes some sweat from her forehead. "I really need a shower, see ya."

We wait for her to go away before we continue with our plan, even though I'm sure she knows even the latest updates.

"So, we meet Jason at Parfait?"

I nod. "Yeah, there are lots of people so he won't do any funny business and he can't just take off, plus we're going to stay inside so someone should be walking in or out and block his way. Sounds..." My shoulders slump down. "I can't."

Kal frowns. "Why?"

"I don't want to be seen with you."

"Wow, thanks."

"I mean, what if Olivia or Alex are there? What if they find out?"

Kal's jaw drops. "Oh, right. You haven't talked to them yet."

"I have talked to them, just not about that one thing."

Kal nods, his fingers drumming against the table. "Okay. You can meet with Jason and I can be nearby, just in case."

I sigh. "Okay," I say as I grab my phone to text him.

sum.mer.41: ok meet me in parfait in 10

He replies almost immediately.

jaseg: see you there

After locking my phone I stuff it in my back pocket and slip in my flip flops. Kal pops one last strawberry in his mouth before following me out of the house.

The sun is up already, making every light-coloured surface blindingly bright. If I cracked an egg open and let it fall on the concrete it would have been cooked in no time. Hell, it would have been cooked even on my skin. I'm not out for a minute and I already want to run back inside. Glancing under the lemon tree, I notice Lucky is sleeping inside the old oven pan we use as her water bowl.