🤍 Chapter 38 🤍

Start from the beginning

"I'm... sorry," Kimitsuki mumbled, lowering her head.

"You were a child when that incident happened," Ryunosuke told her. "I don't believe that you should be apologising. There are investigations still going on regarding that night, I have been working on declassifying some of the files from the Government Police Force,"

"Investigation?" Kimitsuki asked as she looked back up at her grandfather but the moment that she did so, he picked the opportunity to change the subject.

"You look very much like Tsukichiyo-Chan," Ryunosuke spoke. "She was always a tall girl and she used to have weighted cheeks that she thought made her look too frail. I see a lot of her mannerisms in you and the only thing that pulls me out of the delusion that you are not your mother are your eyes and hair. She had darker eyes and her hair was black – just like this,"

Kimitsuki looked down at her hair and her eyes widened when she saw that they were black. She reached to touch her long ponytail and realised only seconds later that it was just an illusion that had washed over her through Ryunosuke.

"I apologise if I look to be projecting my thoughts on you like this," Ryunosuke continued, returning her hair to white. "It is unhealthy to visualise people with our Quirks when they have passed away, I'm sure that you would suggest this old man the same,"

But Kimitsuki continued to stare at him in surprise – she had not ever met another person who had done this, mostly because they didn't have visual Quirks.

For a long time in her childhood, what she thought had just been mere dreams or nightmares had been Kimitsuki's own illusions that she put herself through to convince herself that she still had a family, that she was not entirely alone. She had especially relied on those visions during her time on the street just to placate herself into thinking she lived a normal life.

"Y-yes, I should say that," Kimitsuki replied quietly. "But... I must be truthful that I have done the very same thing and it might be a bit hypocritical of me to judge you on trying to comfort yourself. However, it is correct that... one can lose their heads in their own visions, start to see what they want to see and become lethargic to the real world,"

"You have a way with words," Ryunosuke said. "Certainly, I agree with what you have to say. And I must assure you none of this is an illusion. This is your mother's home,"

"I believe you," Kimitsuki replied, getting a bit comfortable. "It's too big and beautiful for my mind to even fathom, so I know that it can't be my imagination,"

Ryunosuke chuckled and Kimitsuki smiled slightly.

"It was a sudden, unexpected invitation for you," Ryunosuke said. "But if you were to arrive another time, I will introduce you to the rest of our family,"

"Family?" Kimitsuki asked. "Do I have uncles and aunts and cousins?"

"I do have a son so you have an uncle," Ryunosuke confirmed. "He hasn't settled so I'm afraid you don't have cousins but you do have a grandmother as well,"

While Kimitsuki was still processing this information, Ryunosuke reached forward to pick up the slow-cooking tea and pour the lavender tea into two clear cups. He gestured the girl to take one and Kimitsuki bowed her head in gratitude before she took a sip.

"Thank you," Kimitsuki replied. "It's very delicious,"

"Oh, do you, too – perhaps – like slow-boiled herbal teas?" Ryunosuke asked, his eyebrows raised and Kimitsuki nodded eagerly, smiling slightly.

"I like flowers in general," Kimitsuki confessed. "Since they are all so different yet so collectively beautiful, no matter if they bloom for a very long time or live in a fleeting life – they remind me very much of human beings, and they invite butterflies,"