🐘 Chapter Two 🐘

Começar do início

My mind immediately went to its darkest place imagining him in scrubs and a stethoscope. I knew he was an animal doctor, don't get all up in my business, but still.

"I accidentally hit a lion cub on the way here. He's alive but needs to help."I replied and his widened eyes showed that I'd now gotten his full attention.

"Show me."He requested and I didn't need to be told twice.

I turned on my heel heading back to my car and I heard him following behind me. I unlocked the jeep and opened the passenger side showing the cub who was barely awake but moving around on the seat. I stepped aside and the handsome vet rushed to his side. I really needed to know his name.

"Tuba you scamp. We've been looking all over for you."He greeted excitedly and I breathed in relief when I realized he recognized the cub.

"You know him?"I asked trying to get his attention.

With his back still turned to he replied "Yes. He went missing early this morning and we've been looking all over for him. He's only a few days old that's why he can't see yet. Their eyes open up about a week or more after birth."He explained and I smiled that he didn't just brush me off.

He picked Tuba up carefully in his arms and walked away. Without waiting to be invited I locked the car again and followed him into one of the better looking buildings. It was a brick structure with a grass thatched roof and a floor that was smoothed out with clay. It was actually cool inside a huge contrast to the scorching heat outside.

I watched him carefully lay Tuba on a examination table before he began checking him up. I stood aside silently and let him work admiring how his big hands could be so caring and careful on such a fragile being. Made me wonder what other things his hands could do. Down girl, not the time.

I noticed that he was trying really hard not to look at me by concentrating on Tuba. I wanted his attention on me but I didn't want to interrupt what he was doing. I found myself using the opportunity of his attention being in the young cub to get a closer look at him. I noticed that he had tribal marks on his face and chest. They were clearly old, probably from when he was an adolescent but they had been made deep enough to be noticeable years later.

One on his right cheek was a circle drawn over another and on his left cheek were three lines that looked like they had been carved into his skin. Kenyan tribes had weird traditions but it was our heritage and even though some of it sucked it was still ours. The ones on his chest were different patterns of different things like a paw print on one of his pecks and a few more that I didn't understand. I would have asked about them but it was the wrong time. That was definitely being stored in my brains archive as a conversation starter.

He didn't have a ring on his finger or the indent left behind by one so it was safe to assume that he was not married. I really hoped that he was single. I didn't want to be having inappropriate thoughts about a married man or one already in a relationship. One thing I was not was a homewrecker.

Having ogled him enough I turned my attention back to what he was doing.

"Will he be okay?"I asked after about ten minutes of silence between us.

He glanced at me slightly and nodded.

"Yeah he's okay, you didn't break any bones when you hit him. He's just in shock and hungry. You gave him water?" He asked.

"Yeah about a litre. I was waiting for his mom to show up but she never did so I put him in the car intending to get him help when I got to my destination."I explained.

"That's good. He was probably thirsty that's why he left his siblings and mother behind in search of water. Probably wandered around and never found any. Thanks for bringing him here."