Chapter 12: What are you?

Start from the beginning

I turned to look at dad and my eyes were enough to tell him something is wrong. "Jai what's wrong? Who is on the line?" He was about to snatch my phone to see the caller but I knew I had to tell him calmly and be there for his support.

"Dad please sit down and listen to me...dadu has been taken to the hospital because he had a heart ache and was on the verge of fainting. Everyone is at the hospital and the doctors are treating him. Let's go." I explain him everything as if he was a child. I know dad is very close to dadu and it is very difficult not only for him but for each one of us. Dadu has always been a friend to each one of us than a dadu, a father, a husband or even a father-in-law.

We hurry outside to my car and dad called Vijay uncle outside who was in dad's cabin and I take the driver seat with dad in the passenger seat and uncle in backseat. I am driving as fast as possible but my shaking hands are not allowing me to go fast enough. Dad was in a daze and I knew I had to pull myself together before reaching there.

I felt a hand on my shoulder "Jai calm down nothing will happen. Everything will be fine. Pay attention to the road and drive carefully. If you want I can drive or just stop for a few minutes and pull yourself together."

I knew Vijay uncle is right and so I stopped the car for a minute. Put my face in my hands and all I could see is dadu. Rubbing my face a taking a deep sigh I reignited the ingine and made my way to the hospital.

The roads were chalk a block and I literally haven't cursed this much in my entire life as I have today.

After much curses and a lot of patience we finally reached the hospital. Throughout the way dad has not spoken anything and I am starting to get worried now.

When dad explodes over Maira I feel so bad but am helpless to do anything. I know dad said all this because he was worried about dadu bit he shouldn't have said all that to Maira rather he should be thankful to her.

When Maira leaves on pretext of medicines I am happy that Maira is mature enough to not react to anything understanding the sensitive of time but I need to go and apologize to her on behalf of dad. That was immature of dad to react that way.

I make my way towards the pharmacy to meet Maira and thank her and apologize to her for dad's behaviour. I see Maira standing on the counter waiting for.the person behind the counter to give the medicines. I go towards her and I can see that she is lost in her own thoughts and doesn't notice me there.

"Hey." Here is to an awkward start of trying to apologize.
"Oh, ummm...Hi??" "Look I wanted to apologize on behalf of dad for everything he said. It's just he is very worried about dadu. I hope you understand."

"I get it and you don't need to apologise for someone else's behaviour. I was just trying to help. Anyways, I got the medicines that were asked, so I will go and give it." I could sense some aloofness in her tone and something that I couldn't pinpoint but I knew she is still upset with how dad behaved.

I decided to talk to her later and first go and talk to the doctor just to be sure. I reached the doctor's cabin and knocked. On hearing a come in I entered.

"Prince Jai, come in. Tell me how can I help you?"

"Doctor, I just wanted to know how is dadu doing and if there is something we need to be worried about or take precautions against in future if any health concerns..."

"Prince Jai, I assure you that once these 24 hours pass by you have nothing to worry about. Your dadu's case is being looked after by the world's best cardiologist, Dr. Aisha Agrawal and everything is under her supervision. You have nothing to worry."

"Thank you so much doctor for providing the best consultation and services to dadu. I will forever be indebted to you for everything you've done today."

"Prince Jai, I don't know if I should be the one to tell you this but I didn't get Dr. Agrawal to look at the case."

I am confused. Like what!? I think doc understood my confused expressions probably cause he said something that blew my mind. Not sure if in a good way or bad.

"Well you see it was Miss Maira who asked Dr. Agrawal to look after the case and she was the one to get Maharaja here on time for his treatment to be done. Any delay could have been fatal. You should be really thankful to her. Getting the world best cardiologist at such short notice is not a small thing."

Shocked, I get up from my chair thanking the doc and move out of his cabin. She went through all this trouble for someone who is practically a stranger to her and in return all she got was that rude behaviour. If she wanted she could have easily thrown it all at our faces but she didn't. I need to tell this to everyone and get dad to apologize to her.

By the time I return outside dadu's room, I see Mom Dad sitting on the bench looking all tired. "Mom, dad I think you should go home and rest, you have not eaten anything and it's dinner time. I will stay here with dadu." I look around and see Vijay uncle and Maira missing. I hope she doesn't get in any trouble. I tell dad to take Vijay uncle also.

"Jai, send that girl also. I don't want her anywhere near dad. She has already done enough..." I cut him. It's time he knows the truth.

"Dad she helped our family when it was mostly needed. We should be grateful to her for all she did today." I continue to tell him what the doc told me and I could see guilty flash in, in his eyes.

I see Maira and Vijay uncle coming our way. "Miss Maira, I am so sorry for my behavior earlier. I know there's no excuse for how I behaved. I am very ashamed of myself. I am very sorry and a big thank you. After everything that you did for dad I don't know how to thank..."

"No, no, I did nothing. I just brought him here and anybody would have done that. You don't need to thank me for that. It was a humanitarian act that anyone would have done." I am amazed she hasn't told about getting Dr. Agrawal for dadu's case or spending money on the medicines.

She isn't the kind of girl to bear tolerate any nuisance and from what I know of her she knows how to put anyone in their place. She is confusing. Sometimes I feel just like, having a normal conversation with her is difficult but other times she surprises me with her maturity.

What are you Maira? Why can I not understand you? Why are you so complicated to be understood? What is this effect that you have on me?

After sending mom, dad, and Vijay uncle away, only Maira and I were left. Maira didn't leave even after much pestering and we decided to not mention that we about Dr. Agrawal if she doesn't want us to know.

She was sitting on a bench and I took a seat on the bench opposite to hers. I know the circumstances aren't right but I can't help but feel giddy to be spending time with her. I hope by the time things get sorted I get my feelings cleared up for both of ours' sake.

 I hope by the time things get sorted I get my feelings cleared up for both of ours' sake

_________________________________________

Hey guys!!! I know this isn't a very interesting chapter but this is just to give you an insight on what's going on in Jai's mind and about his feelings. I would just say that you might enjoy the upcoming chapters so please bear with me for few such fillers.

Please vote, and comment to show your love and support for my work. Every vote and every comment just makes me feel more motivated to write and write better for you guys.

Thank you!!