chapter 35

Chapter 35
Come on Ivy “ Trisha pulled into the jewellery shop. Her oversized tummy forced people to make way for her.
“ Trisha slows down, you are pregnant, what if something happens to your baby.” She scoffed.
“ he is strong, nothing will happen.” She let her eyes wander over the gold jewellery.
“ This one, I like this one.” She screamed in pure joy.
“ I want to see his face when I propose “ she giggled. She signalled f the shopkeeper to attend to us.
“ How much is that ring?” she pointed with her fat fingers.
“ £ 100 000”
“ Pack that for me.” I glanced at my best friend, she was taking a huge step so was I. I am getting married in a couple of hours from now.
“ What?” she shrugged her shoulders.
“ You sure you want to propose to him on my wedding day?”
“ Are you scared I am going to steal the spotlight from you?” She giggled.
Sort of
“ Relax, we will do it after the wedding ceremony. “
“ Ok"
“ Shall we go Ivy Kingwood “ she smiled as she took my hand.
“ I need to deck someone for her wedding “ she squeezed my hand tightly.
I stared at the mirror, my hands perfectly clasped on my laps.
“ you look, beautiful baby," aunt Lisa’s soothing voice said. How is it possible I get to have her as my aunt and at the same time my mother in law? What a wonder.
“ Mark would be thrilled to see you.” She flashed me a bright smile.
“ what I do know is that someone can’t wait to see you" Trisha boomed from the hallway.
“ he is awaiting eagle on that alter I tell you “ she giggled.
“ He one fine piece"
“ Trisha" she giggled.
“ it’s your day bitch, shall we" I nodded my head as I trailed behind her.
“ Go get your man" she whispered. Pregnancy does make one crazy. My glaze meet Terry who was standing in for my father. I let it bypass Terry to Mark who looked pale. He smiled when he saw me. Much better.
I swiftly made my way to Terry, who accompanied me to Mark.
“ Don’t hurt her" he whispered in his ear, Mark only but nod as he took my hand on his.
“ Family and friends, we have gathered here for the union of Ivy and Mark Kingwood in matrimony.” The pastor said as he smiled down at us.
“ If there is anyone who is against this union, speak now or forever hold your peace. “ the hall was quiet, only the breathing space of people could be heard.
“ Very well then ..”
“ I object “ the door flung open to reveal a skinny woman. Her hands scratched, marked.
She looked worn out.
“ I London Falls object to this wedding!”
2 weeks after
I flopped back against the pillows as I had been doing for the past ten hours after my wedding had been invaded by strangers. I narrowed my gaze at the dressing table drenched with white roses, the favourite I sighed. Soon I will suffocate if Mark doesn’t stop sending these up here. Several apologies notes had been sent as well with the flowers, on One of one several notes he had sworn to have never met the woman and that they had probably missed took him as someone else. But he was Mark no one would mistake him For anybody else and he knew that fact
Suddenly fleeing hungry, I sprang out of the bed, dressed and wandered through the cool, airy house to the large spacious kitchen.
The room was empty, but a half cup of coffee was on the table and the television was on in the far corner with the sound muted.
“ much better “ I breathed as I plopped down on the chair next to me.
I closed my eyes for a brief moment as I contemplate what had happened at my wedding. The big daisy that I had inserted onto my hair was now lying lifeless at the far corner weeping with me. I reached for the coffee pot, and froze as a picture of Mark appeared on the screen, apparently leaving Harare nightclub, his arm around a sexy, sleek redhead in a skirt so short it barely covered her bottom.
It had not even lasted a day and he was already on the news with the big headline for the next few weeks while his marriage had crumbled a few hours ago. It had died the moment it was born and buried with its spikey bones.
I stared at the red-headed and sank further into the chair, struggling to breathe. It was only a few hours ago he had been on his knees telling me that woman was crazy and was obsessed with him.
I had done it again! Believed him, Believed that in his way we would get through this but... I had given him the benefit of the doubt. Thought he would change but alas how wrong I was. Here I thought he was trying to convince me that our marriage had only just begun but no it was his assistant, he had been sending flowers while he was partying with another lady- an extremely beautiful and sexy woman ___ while I his would be wife is sitting at home waiting for him to return.
How could I have been so stupid? At what point had I forgotten he is a hot red-blooded man who has needs and a baby to tie him to. He had produced an heiress for his empire what more could he wish for.
When he had told me to take all the time in the world I had assumed he intended to use the time to improve our relationship. Instead of which it was obvious that l was just to do my thing while he went out and enjoyed himself. I ground my teeth with frustration.
When had he ever taken me out, when has he ever shown any inclination to spend quality time with me other than him wanting to screw me up every time he sets his eyes on me. He only comes to me when he wants to perform the biological function of bearing children.
I glanced down at myself, trying to see myself through his eyes. Shapeless skirt, shapeless top. I groaned one more time as I turned off the television.
Casting my mind back to the girl on the television, I mentally evaluated the outfit she had been wearing. Short skirts, high heels, and a revealing neckline that spilt her chest outside. Hair loose and sexily dishevelled hair.
It was obvious he wanted fun and no commitment and he was my father all again. This is why he had divorced my mother because of a woman like her. My father had married my mother and then proceeded to spend their entire marriage sleeping with other women. He had no respect whatsoever for my mother. Marriage for him was just an obligation, had been the respectable, socially responsible way of bringing children into the world while enjoying himself and Mark was the same. Many times I had seen my mother break down due to his whoring ways and when he had completely left how glade I was but how could I have fathomed the idea of being in my mother's shoes. How I had boasted that my marriage would be a success.
Wife. Mistress. Two separate roles with entirely different briefs. My job was to stay at home, with my good, childbearing hips, and breed and feed our child. The mistress’ job was to have endless sex for pure pleasure and to indulge in other fun pursuits.
Still, in a daze, I stood up and walked back into the house.
“ Is everything ok Ivy?” aunt Lisa who I had learned was my biological mother looked at me with consternation.
“ you look very pale. Can I get you a glass of water dear" I was on the verge of confessing that I needed a new wardrobe, that maybe in by dbydoingng so Mark would look at me and want to take me out? That he would not turn into my father but I stopped myself
“ that would not be necessary, Mark invited me to dinner today.” I analyzed her profile.
How could she be my mother, she had deserted me all these years and yet she thought everything could be ok.
I watched as she opened her mouth and closed it before she said
“sure “
All I had to do now was to look for his chief security and I would be gone.
“ahh Craig” he stopped abruptly and smiled.
“ good afternoon Ivy" I nodded my head in response.
“ would you have any problem with arranging my flight to Harare, I am joining Mark “
He shook his head
“ no not at all"
“ in time for a night on the town" I flashed him a small smile.
“ I am supposed to ask you to sort everything out. I am meeting him at his favourite nightclub tonight. You know to patch things up"
“ that one is perfect “ he widens his smile.
“ let me get to it right now"
I licked my dry lips, trying to look casual.
“ and Craig --- do you know any good hairdresser?”
He gave me an overlook
“ of course, I will arrange that too.”
And he was gone swiftly as the wind. I sighed.
“ you are sure the skirt isn’t too short?” four hours later, I was scrutinizing my reflection from every angle, feeling horrible naked and self-conscious. It was like wearing underwear and very little else but I could not back down now. I could not let him treat me like a piece of shit.
Did women go out looking like this?
“ you have legs most women would kill for, why cover them up?” the stylist fussed around me, narrowing his eyes as he assessed the finished result.
“ there “ he looked pleased with himself. If I had not known about his sexual orientation I would have run out of that room with that look he was giving me.
“ There aren’t many women who can wear that skirt not even me “ he had that look in his eyes again but it was different because his eyes were light on my body compared to Mark's gaze which strip me every time.
“but you are one of them, and that halter top is perfect on you. It provides you with the support you need while looking glamour.”
I tilted my head left and right, examining the sparkly silver material that was cut to expose a tempting amount of cleavage.
Glamourous? Did I look glamourous?
“ my mother would have a heart attack if she sees me right now"
“ she would" he did nothing to comfort my nerves instead he drawled, a wicked smile in his eyes as he slipped several bangles onto my slender wrist.
“ It isn't designed for families, it’s designed for lovers, with sex and seduction in mind and you my dear want that right now"
Sex and seduction? Was that really what I wanted? Is Mark worth it? Is he worth me parading naked for him to notice me, for him not to look at other women?
“ Now I just need my hair cut"
“ not cut, just trimmed. The length is fantastic. You just need some layers and texture to soften the effect" I nodded as l let them do their job. Wanting to be beautiful is a curse, the time I took sitting there was enough for me to go to the market come back and cook dinner for ten people.
Finally, I left the salon and slid into the black town car that was waiting for me. But as I drove to the outskirts, I felt my confidence drain away leaving a nervous girl. Dressing in seductive ways is different but I had to learn to behave similarly and I wasn't sure I was up to it. My nails dug into the car seat, the leather giving in slowly.
When the car finally drew up outside the nightclub that Craig had assured me Mark would frequent that night, I felt almost sick with nerves. Hoping I would not fall and break something vital, trying to walk in my ridiculously high heels, I reached for the bag.
“ Don't wait for me?" I told the driver as l slid gingerly from the car.
“It's going to be a long night “ I whispered to myself as I teetered past the man policing the door and picked my way down the marble stairs That wound into the darkness of the nightclub.