summertime sadness

Landon looked over Hope's shoulder. "Ooh you got her number?" He said excitedly. Josie panicked and quickly grabbed the receipt. Everyone else didn't hear him so they kept walking.

"Yeah." She quietly mumbled putting the receipt back into her back pocket. A wave of disappointment washed over Hope's face. She quickly fixes her expression and gives Josie a liptight smile. Josie returns her gesture with a quick unenthusiastic smile.

"Congrats Jo." Landon squeezes her shoulder then walks right past her. Leaving just Hope and Josie.

"So what's her name?" Hope suddenly broke the silence between them.

"Penelope, why?" She furrowed her brows in confusion.

"No reason." Hope just shrugs and walks past her. Josie didn't believe her, she quickly walked up in front of her.

Josie scoffed a small laugh "Are you sure because it seemed like you had a reason to ask me."

Hope sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. "Look, I- I just don't want you to get hurt." Josie tilted her head in confusion. Hope stepped closer to her "You told me how your last relationship went, I just don't want you to see you heartbroken." Hope mumbled most of it, Josie managed to hear it.

"And why would you care about my love life?" She says coldly at Hope. The auburn haired girl's eyes widened and swallowed a knot.

"Be-because I'm your friend." Hope rushes to tell the brunette. Josie pulled both her lips in between her teeth.

"Right," She turns around. "Friend." She starts walking towards her sister when Hope calls for her, she decides to ignore it. She entered the car without a word, she quickly grabs the aux cord and plays Things Are Better by PVRIS.

Lizzie doesn't say a word either, she just lets Josie stay quiet. The brunette is looking at the sky, all those stars, they're all unique and special. She likes listening to this song at night because it makes her feel the music. Each song, in her head represents a different time of day.

Actually every song she listens to is unique to her.

Before she knows it, they're back at the house, and their father's car is in the driveway. Josie wastes no time and quickly gets out of the car. Once she made it past the front door, she didn't even bother speaking to her father who was sitting in the living room.

The brunette quietly shuts her bedroom door and opens her phone. Quickly typing in Penelope's number, she's hesitant before she sends the first message. After a few moments of pacing around her room she hits send.

Hey, It's Josie.

Okay, so no immediate response, Josie is okay with that. She tossed her phone on her bed and laid down.

Ten minutes later, still no response. Josie is getting anxious. Maybe it was too soon, or not soon enough? Was she too desperate? She heard a ding come from her phone and immediately picked it up.

Hey, It's Penelope, sorry I got caught up at work.

She smiles at her phone.

Oh no it's okay. I was just making sure if this number was real.

Well now you know ;)

So... Penelope, do you have a last name? Or will that remain a mystery forever?

Hmm, I don't know... It's Park, Penelope Park.

Penelope Park. I like the sound of that.