26 - Mini me and Mini you

Mulai dari awal

She nodded and bit her lip. "Would it be so bad to hand over your business to Cody?"

He looked genuinely surprised to hear her say that but he said nothing in reply.

"I-I mean, now that you have enough money to uh, go legal, you can actually handover this to Cody so that we can start a new life. You and me. As a family."

His eyes didn't leave hers as she spoke. It was so penetrating that she had to look away. When she did, he turned and picked up the papers he was studying.

"That's not something you should decide."

"I know but --"

"Pamela, this business is the worst thing you can handover to a person, especially a man who has a weakness -- family."

"Yes --"

"You cannot wish that on anyone. You cannot say these things like it's that easy."

His scolding tone was driving her to the verge of tears. "Yes, I understand. I was just, you know, thinking of our future." She whispered.

He sighed and took her in his arms. "I'm sorry. I know you mean well."

"You just good as told me to shut my mouth and never open it again."

"I'm sorry." He kissed her forehead. "I know how dangerous it is in this business and you have every right to voice out given the danger you've been put through over the months."

She caressed his face. "You keep me safe and you go out of your way to make me happy. I am grateful."

"But?"

"But nothing."

He paused for a heartbeat then said gently, "What is it Pamela?"

She sat up. "I - I feel incomplete. There's this void that needs filling."

"Which is?"

She hesitated. "A child. A mini me and a mini you." She looked up into his eyes and touched his hand. "Let's start a family Dev. I want us to have a baby."

Ten full seconds and then a firm, "No."

She was taken aback. "What?"

"I said no. I don't want kids."

"You can't be serious."

"I am."

"Why? I want kids."

"I don't." He began to pack the papers.

"Devlin! Why? Talk to me."

He stood and started for the door. "I don't want kids, plain and simple."

She marched off and stood in his way. "Do you know how selfish you sound? You don't want kids?"

"No, Pamela no."

She folded her arms beneath her breasts. "Why? Something doesn't fill right. If you don't want kids why haven't we been using protection? I could already be pregnant for all we know."

He gave a low chuckle. "You cannot be."

"What makes you so sure? Answer me!" She shouted when he refused to answer.

"Because I'm shooting blanks!" He shouted back.

"You're what?" She whispered.

"I had a vasectomy. I can't get a woman pregnant."

Her mouth fell open. Wakened by shock, she walked slowly to the bed, sat and drew her knees to her chin. Tears filled her eyes and rolled down her face. Seconds later, she felt his weight depressing the bed as he sat beside her.