1.6

"But even though I hate to admit it, I kinda like the cheesiness. So chill, you're doing good." I grinned.

---

"Oh yeah?" He smirked teasingly and my cheeks flushed a little. "Well... Yeah. I might be a bit more of a softie than I show." I admitted and quickly looked away feeling a bit ashamed.

"So you're not so tough huh?" I narrowed my eyes at him.

"nOt So ToUgH hUh??"

I imitated his deep voice sarcastically. "Are you making fun of me, Phelps?" I asked crossing my arms on my chest.

"Maybe?" He replied playfully. I puckered up my lips trying to think of something to get back at him. I have no idea at all where this came from, but it happened and I was the one to do it.

I moved my face closer to his, maintaining eye contact, trying to mess with him a little. It took all my courage, but I placed one of my hands on his thigh and tilted my chin a little. Our lips just millimetres apart. "Do you really want to play that game?" I asked in a seductive voice and moved away.

My heart started beating like crazy. Something like this just felt super unnatural for me. I was anything but not this flirtatious kind of girl... but... at the same time... I guess I've always kind of wanted to be that girl. Or more like... to be able to be her. With James, it just felt like I could. He seemed too sweet to beat me at it so I didn't fear that I'd embarrass myself.

Wrong.

I just hope he can't sense how uncomfortable this kind of behaviour is for me. Thoughts and worries kept appearing in my mind while I was still maintaining eye contact, completely out of focus, now sitting in a safe distance. Or that's what I thought.

"Maybe I do wanna play that game." I've heard James say which brought me back into the present moment. My eyebrows unwillingly rose all the way up to my hairline.

"And maybe I'll win." He smirked and cupped my jaw with his big hand. His fingers behind my ear and his thumb lifting my chin so I couldn't avoid his gaze.

What the heck is happening?

My heartbeat must either have stopped or been too fast for me to feel it. For a moment I forgot to breathe, as James pulled my face closer to his. He gently rubbed his lips against mine, but wouldn't kiss me.

At this point, I wasn't sure what game we were playing and who the winner should be. Whether the one who'd go for it or the one who'd resist.

"Fuck it." I heard myself say when I just forgot to think for a moment. I kissed his lips lightly and before he could respond, I pulled away, standing up immediately and turning around in a complete agony of cringe and shame.

I wasn't sure if it was appropriate and I had no fucking idea what my next move should be, so I just stood up. How pathetic. I was trying SO HARD to be an adult in this thing, as I should be according to my age, that I ended up acting like a stupid teen. But what was I anyway? I didn't have more dating experience than an average 16-year-old these days. My face was bright red and I almost started crying. Why are you like this?! I was mentally hitting a wall with my head to beat the frustration out of it. It was all just seconds.

"Leaving already?" James gave me another round of attitude, which brought me back to the park we were in. I glared at him angrily. "Okay, you won. I have no idea how to play this game. Happy?" I gave up and lifted my hands up in a surrender gesture.

James stood up calmly and came up to me. He interlaced his fingers with mine and pulled my hands back down to my middle. My sight followed them, so I wouldn't have to face him. "Hey." He said gently. "I'm just messing with you." He smiled. "I know you are just messing with me. For some reason that seems to be the problem." I looked back up at him, my eyebrows were still furrowed. "I know this is all very odd... Even I don't really know yet how I feel about it, to be honest... And I understand that you are trying to keep your distance by acting tough. It's okay. I can deal with it." That smirk again. I pressed my teeth together. "It's just... We have only just met." I mumbled.