Babe, I'm in the hospital

Monique's POV

"Daniel, are you ready for school?"

"Yes mommy! I'm coming." Daniel has this program he's in. He's given a speech. He's so adorable!

Andre is waiting for us in the car. Daniel's outfit is simple and so is mine.

"I'm proud of you Danny

"I'm proud of you Danny." He smiles at me. Andre comes in the house and stands there looking at us.

"Y'all so cute."

"I know." Danny says walking to the car. Andre and I smile as we leave the house. I'm given a light smack on the ass.

"I'm glad that ass is mine."

"Ha!"

Andre's POV

Daniel's looking sharp on stage. It's almost his turn to give his speech. I look at Monique as she watches tentatively.

I wonder if she'd be my wife one day if I ask. I know I have to get my shit together before I do. She and Daniel are really special to me.

At the end of Daniel's speech, the audience erupts in applause. Monique and I do the same. The school has provided food after, but I don't know if I trust that shit.

Monique slides her hand in mine as wer watch all the kids who participated in the program take a bow then leave the stage.

"Mom! Dad!" Daniel shouts in the crowd of people. We find him and hug him.

"You were excellent kiddo!" I say to a smiling Daniel.

Monique is holding my hand and congratulating him.
....

We arrived home with the food. Daniel turns on the movie, Monique is fixing the food, and I'm just standing here.

"My hands don't like to be unemployed. They like to work."

"Whatever Plies without the 'p'. I hug her from behind.

"Get a room." Daniel giggles.

"Come get your food. As we're all settling down, I get a phone call about some fraud drug movement or some shit."

I debate on going or staying.

"It's okay da- I mean Andre. Go ahead."

"Aiight."

Monique's POV

I saw the struggle on his face between staying here and going. Soon after he leaves, Daniel yawns.

"Ready for a nap?" I take him to bed and go to sleep myself.
............

My phone rings at 2AM, scaring me. "Hello?"

"Hello? Is this Monique?"

"Yes."

"Your husband got into accident."