Orange-Flavored Popsicles

After their talk in the park and one more meaningful kiss, Naruto and Hayami parted ways. It was close to four in the afternoon, the sun drifting into a lower position with every passing minute. Naruto had quickly sought out the company of Sakura and Sai, needing guidance on an idea he had brewing. The blond genin was planning something special for tonight.

Meanwhile, Hayami made her way toward the district she remembered her apartment being in. Lady Tsunade gave the girl her old key back and told her she was welcome back to that same apartment now that she was back in the village. Hayami was even instructed on how to pay rent for her apartment once she started receiving mission assignments.

'It's too bad this apartment will be covered in a layer of dust...' She began to think to herself, shuffling her feet along the familiar dirt path. Hayami entered the area of Konoha that surrounded her apartment.

The neighborhood she lived in was almost uncharacteristically lively; filled with small children playing ninja in the streets, bustling parents attempting to gather up groceries to make a cohesive and nutritious dinner, and couples on special date nights. The neighborhood held a beautiful aura as time ticked closer to sunset. The sun was still high, however the source of the afternoon heat was slowly making its decent.

"Hey ma'am!" A small child ran up to Hayami, she was sporting a pair of uneven pig tails with hazel colored hair. When the child, no older than five, ran up to her she accidentally skidded to a halt and bumped into Hayami's legs. Hayami was slightly confused as to why this kid would just come up to her out of all the people on this crowded street.

'I hope she's not lost... I've never been too great with kids and I hope to god I don't have to help her. I don't even know how to talk to a kid!' The dark-haired lady internally sulked at the thought of having to help the kid find her parents, or more like the idea of having to make conversation with the child. Hayami was an only child and never really looked after younger clan members too often. Well, except for her little cousin Mei.

Mei was like Hayami's personal shadow; when the sweet and innocent little girl was alive, she followed Hayami everywhere. The little one who had platinum blonde hair and the same striking eyes as Hayami constantly nipped at her heels. Mei always tried to keep in step with her cousin, always tried to do what Hayami was doing, and always looked up to her with such pride. Mei Chinoike was so proud that Hayami was her older cousin. 

However, despite Mei's love and admiration for her cousin, none of that made Hayami feel any better about interacting with kids. Of course talking to her cousin would come easy, but Hayami always had to work hard at building a connection with the kids in her clan. And that was even a leg up on these kids in the Hidden Leaf because those children had come from the same clan as Hayami. This little girl in front of her was just a strange child who decided to pick her out of the crowd. 

"Uhh, what's up kid?" As the older brunette muttered out, the child motioned with her hands for Hayami to start following her. While Hayami had no interest in following the child, she was a bit curious. "H-Hey kid, wait up!" She called out to the girl who only turned around with a cheeky smile, ran back up to Hayami, and grasped on tightly to her hand. The small child began to run and started tugging Hayami along behind her.

"Will you play with me, big sis?" The girl called over her shoulder, Hayami attempted to dig her heels into the dirt to stop the child from tugging her along. A completely random child had gravitated toward her, with no other apparent reason other than that she wanted to meet and play with Hayami.

Hayami was in a state of shock, too stunned to say anything to the girl. She looked down at the one who was tightly grasping on to her hand. The girl, on top of those obscured pig tails that she obviously placed herself, possessed a loose green top. It had the Uzumaki swirl on the back and was big enough to trail all the way down to the girl's thighs. The young one also wore a pair of black shorts and sandals.