№45|Symbols

Mulai dari awal

With every step, a symbol from the sidewalk appeared. Medusa crouched down to examine it but it soon disappeared, reappearing a few feet in front of her. Getting up from her crouching position, Medusa ran towards the next symbol. 

This one, the ⳧ , floated up from the water and around Medusa before seeping into the skin on her collarbone. She examined her collarbone, the symbol glowing a light emerald green. The scientist traced her fingers over the symbol before looking up to see the another symbol, the ௹, appeared in front of her.

She reached out to grab it but the symbol floated away, tempting Medusa to chase it around the infinite mass space. Colorful waters rippling beneath her feet as she continued to chase the symbol. She glanced at her sides to see memories of loving times appeared.

She stopped in her tracks, gasping softly as all the memories began lighting up the dark space. She walked over to one of the closet memories, it showed her mother holding a baby Medusa in her lap as they flipped through their family photo book.

She chuckled softly, turning around to see the day she met Barron in the alley. Somedays, Medusa wondered what her life would be like if she didn’t find Barron in that alley. What it would be like if she turned in Barron to the authorities.

She sighed, smiling at the memories as they faded into colorful dust. The ௹ symbol appeared in front of Medusa, circling around before seeping into her collarbone next to the first symbol. “What’s going on…” she muttered, another glowing symbol caused her to glance up.

This symbol, the ₯, floated mere feet ahead of her. Something about it’s glowing green aura drew Medusa towards it, an unexplainable urge to run towards it flowed through.

“That’s it Medusa,” whispered a mysterious, yet soothing, voice, “feel that?” the voice questioned, a cold hand resting on Medusa’s shoulder as they whispered in her ear, “you feel that rush? That power… that energy... the raw adrenaline running through your veins.”

All Medusa could do was nod in response to her question. “You want it don’t you?” the voice giggled, her cold, transparent hand tracing the two symbols on her collarbone. “You want that power, Medusa?” once again, the researcher nodded. She leaned in to whisper, “then take it. It’s what we do.”

“We…?” Medusa turned to find the mysterious voice but nobody was there.

“Yes, we.” the voice replied, their hands stroking under Medusa’s chin. While Medusa couldn’t see who was talking, the voice sounded feminine. “You’re a special little researcher Medusa.”

“I-I am?” Medusa stuttered.

“Yes, now,” she moved out the way to turn Medusa towards the ₯ symbol, two more popping up, the  🝳 and 🜾 symbols, “what do you want?”

“I want the symbols… I want the power…” Medusa whispered, reaching out for the symbols but before she could grasp any she shot up from her resting position.

Gasping for air, Medusa heaved as she looked around to see she was back in her bedroom. Barron groaned, turning to face Medusa, “is everything alright?” he sat up, rubbing his eyes.

Medusa gulped, looking down at her collarbone to see the symbols fading away, “wait… don’t go!” Medusa whimpered, Barron glanced at her questionably.