12 - What You Came Here For

As it was the daily norm, Minseok had eyebags present while eating a bowl of soup that Junmyeon brought him at around 4 PM the next day.

"This is really good," Minseok said, scooping up another spoonful. "You- you didn't have to make this for me, thanks."

Junmyeon bit his lip. He really hoped Minseok couldn't detect the worry that was surely plastered on his face. "It's fine, Xiu," he said, pulling down his hoodie sleeve. "I know you're working a lot."

As soon as Junmyeon said work, Minseok let the spoon fall into the bowl, pausing before answering to Junmyeon. "If you can even call it that."

Junmyeon frowned. "What do you mean?"

Minseok sighed, moving the spoon around. "Just the usual, I guess," he said. "No progress. You get used to it."

Normally, Junmyeon would say something along the lines of not giving up hope and such, how everything takes time, but it hurt him to see how hopeless Minseok had been looking these past few weeks, and at this point, Junmyeon didn't know what to do.

He thought about his conversation with Baekhyun earlier, how the latter wanted to leave this place. Junmyeon understood Minseok's need to have them here, but he also understood why his best friend was desperate to be gone.

"I- I get what you mean," Junmyeon said, his fingers playing with his hoodie sleeve. "Like it just keeps dragging on and on and on and you just end up... I don't know how to explain it."

Minseok frowned. "Wait, what's dragging on?"

"Nothing," Junmyeon said too quickly. "It's nothing, Minseok, you don't have to worry about it."

No doubt Minseok knew something was up, but he didn't say anything else, continuing to eat the soup; he didn't want it to get cold. Plus, he wasn't the type to pry if the other party didn't want to talk about it.

Junmyeon could feel the guilt climb up his throat. As much as he wanted to internally blame Baekhyun for putting the thoughts, he knew that he's been thinking about going back to their small little house in the woods, back to a simpler time that he didn't have to worry about people trying to kill them or his background.

He looked at his own bowl of soup, which was going to turn cold in a minute. He had lost his appetite.

Taking a deep breath beforehand, Junmyeon blurted out, "We want to leave."

Minseok, startled, dropped part of the soup on his lap, eyeing Junmyeon. "I'm sorry, what?"

"I- we want to leave," Junmyeon said again, a little louder this time. "It's just..."

It was really hard to speak with the wide-eyed stare that Minseok was giving him.

"We're a burden here," Junmyeon explained. "We don't do anything, and it's just... unproductive. Not to mention Baekhyun is bored out of his school. Wouldn't it be better to go back?"

Minseok didn't say anything at first, instead focusing on setting the now-empty bowl of soup on the nightstand behind him. "Junmyeon," he said slowly. Hopefully he didn't explode on him. "I don't give a fuck on what the people here think of you guys-"

"That's kind of harsh to say," Junmyeon whispered.

"But I don't," Minseok repeated. "Clearly, they don't care about me, and there's nothing I can do about it. The only reason I'm here at this point is to make sure you and Baekhyun are safe." He paused. "You can't leave."

Junmyeon bit his lip again, feeling a slight tang of metal in his mouth, no doubt from blood that he drew. "Minseok," he said, "Please let us leave."