16

Chapter 16
Intoxicated

She held her family sized hot fires in her hand as she sat on the ground of the store. She complained that if she didn't eat that she would throw up so I took her to the nearest source of food. Which happend to be Walmart. "What do you want to drink" I asked. I received no answer from her. "Joridawnie" I called out. Still no answer. "Joridawnie" I tapped her shoulder. "Huh...oh Arizona". I leaned over and grabbed a cold bottle of Arizona. "I want fruit punch" she pushed it out of my hand. It fell onto the floor and started to roll. I picked it up and put it back. This time I grabbed the one she wanted. When I looked back she was gone. I panicked and began looking around for her. God I hope she doesn't do anything dumb. "Sir can I use your cart" I heard her soft raspy voice. I followed the sound to the bread aisle and saw her talking to an old man. She placed her things in his cart with a smile on her face. Looking at her from afar I could tell, she was genuinely happy right now. I soon realized that it was her friend she was speaking too. I slowly walked over to them. "You her boyfriend or something" he asked me. "No, just her friend" I placed the drink in the cart. "Explains where she's been" he shook his head. "Alex put me in" she lifted her arms.

I picked her up and placed her in the cart with ease. "Damn Alex you're kind of strong" she laughed. The man began moving the cart and I just followed them. "What's your name" he looked at me. "Alex" I answered. "Jim" he held out his hand. I kindly took it. "Jimmy wimmy" Joridawnie sung interrupting us. Neither of us thought to respond and continued our conversation."So how old are you" he asked me. "15 sir" I cleared my throat.
"Alex the grapes" Joridawnie said. She was looking at a fresh bag of green grapes. I picked them up and gave it to her. "She's high as fuck isn't she" Jim asked me. "Very" I shook my head. "Just don't hurt her. She's been through a lot already" he continued shopping. I'm gonna kill her in two months I thought.

"So you're ok with the fact that she smokes" I asked him. "She's gonna do whatever she wants regardless. Doesn't matter what I say, you say, he say, she say, or what anyone else says" he sounded like he's been through this multiple times. I looked at Joridawnie who was stuffing her face with grapes like it was the best thing she's ever eaten. "Why though" I asked while still staring at her. "Have you ever been high" he asked me. "No" I answered with my eyes still on Joridawnie. She looked up at me still eating the grapes. Her eyes were empty, low, and red. It was like she wasn't even here with me. Even though her body held so much weight. "Then stop judging her about something you'll never understand" he pushed the cart forward. I looked at him as he walked passed me. He was wrong though. I wasn't judging her. No matter how hard I tired I can't bring myself to look at her in disgust. Every time I tried she proves me wrong. Even though she's a human incapable of emotions but full of sympathy. I can't help but she her in a different light. Right now I see her as the happiest girl in the world. That's probably how she feels right now. "Jim I need water" I heard her say. I zoned back in and caught up to them. "You have juice" I talked to her. "I don't like juice... Jim knows that" she said looking down. She probably didn't want to make anymore eye contact with me. I hope she doesn't think I'm mad at her, because I'm not. I could never be. "It's your favourite one" Jim said. "Oh" she smiled. She reached out and picked up the canned fruit punch. "I literally love you Alex" she popped the can open. I don't know why but those words hugged my ears like a bear. I looked at her in shocked as she chugged the Arizona. She probably doesn't mean it. I told myself to get out of the gaze and continue walking. After all the shopping I paid for our items and got into his car.
The whole car ride Joridawnie begged to play her playlist on the radio which he soon agreed too. So we listened to her choice of music the whole time. While she rocked her body side by side in the back seat. I just looked at her amazed. Still stuck on those 4 words.