chapter 19: embody

"Well I suppose you could say that I've been a bit stressed lately," the president says softly, "I've always had to look out for the safety of my sister, especially when it comes to the clan.  However, lately I've been worried for your safety as well, Sayaka..." she pulls me closer to her as I awkwardly try to put my hands somewhere.  "Uh w-why is that, president?" I ask a little shakily.  "Multiple members of the clan have noticed my relationship with you and that I care about you, which is rare for me.  Henceforth, I wouldn't be surprised if they did something to you to get something from me." she says straightforwardly, keeping her poker face. 

At this point, I'm beginning to think that maybe she's not even intentionally keeping a poker face.  Perhaps she just genuinely doesn't know how she's feeling or maybe it's not even that big of a deal.  I think I'm over analyzing this, aren't I?  "President, please don't worry about me," I say, still a bit perplexed by what she said, "I'll be fine.."  She let's out a light chuckle followed by a sigh.  "I'm sure you would be, Sayaka..." she begins, "that is if only you weren't dealing with the Hundred Devouring Families, dear.  Trust me when I say they don't hold back."  I understand that they could probably kill me in an instant.  However, I seriously would die if it were for the sake of the president. 

She twirls a piece of hair from my side bangs and smiles at me reassuringly, "Don't worry though, I would never let them do anything to my beloved secretary." I smile back, feeling safe in her embrace.  I knew what I was getting myself into when I signed up for this position.  You would be a fool not to know the true power of her clan.  They aren't called the 'Hundred Devouring Families' for nothing.  I don't know how she can remain so calm all the time when she's surely aware that she's a walking target.  She truly is amazing...