Issues Arise

Eva's POV:

    I wake up to a killer headache. Oh, shit, what did I do? I sit up slowly. A wave of nausea rolls over me and I puke over the side of my bed.

    When I see the half-empty vodka bottle sitting on my nightstand, the puke on the floor, the knocked over chair, it all comes back. Fuck, Eva, you're so stupid. And then the rest of that day comes back to me. And I remember why I drank. And it doesn't seem so stupid after all.

    I'm such a bad person, holy shit. Sab- oh, Sab probably hates me. I caused all that trouble for her. She nearly died because of me.

    My phone shows 16 missed calls from Anna. Two from Conner. And a whole bunch from Katie, Sab, and the girls. What did I do? I check Tiktok, didn't post anything dumb. Nothing bad on Insta. I open Snapchat... shit, I have messages from a whole ton of people. I open the ones from Conner first.

Conner- uhh eva, you good?

                eva?

                hellooooo are you ok

Fuck.

Anna - eva please stop drinking and idk what you're talking about but you clearly have a misunderstanding

             please call me

            eva

            eva cmon

            listen you might be having a rough night but i love you and i don't want you to get drunk like this ok

           it's not a good way to solve your problems

           it'll make you feel worse

           cmon love text me back please

I'm so stressed out. What did I do?

It's on Katie's text that I figure it out.

Katie- dumbass what the hell are you even talking about

            ooh shit youre drunk as hell

            you couldn't have at least waited til you were with me to get wasted?

    She had swiped up from a story post. Oh. My. God. I fly to my stories and see a series of pictures and videos posted on one of my privates- the one with a lot of people. Shit shit shit. The first picture is me holding the vodka bottle, captioned 'your favorite fuck-up here to have a good time'. Just by looking at that one, I'm so embarrassed. I almost don't want to watch the videos.

    It's a whole long thing of me ranting about causing the fire.

    Anna's POV:

    I'm so worried about Eva. First she hangs up on me. Then she calls me back drunk. Then she posts a whole ton of shit on her story about causing the fire?

    She was literally with me. How could she have caused the fire?

    I called her so many times last night. I texted her too. No response. It's not like her to get drunk.

    I head downstairs to make some breakfast and see my mom in the kitchen, cooking some bacon.

    "Hey, sweetheart! You're finally up."

    "Morning mom," I reply.

    "I heard you up late last night so I figured I'd get some breakfast going for you today."

    I give her a huge hug to show my thanks and sit down at the table, constantly refreshing my phone to see if Eva texted me back. Then I feel bad for staring at my phone while she's cooking for me, so I put it away and try to make conversation.

    After breakfast, I thank my mom again and excuse myself, immediately heading upstairs and checking my phone. Nothing from Eva. Deciding to go stalker mode, I check her location on snap map.

    She was on a couple of minutes ago.

    I'm calling her.

    I let out a slight noise of surprise when she picks up on the second ring. I grin, but then it fades when I see how sick she looks.

    "Eva, oh my gosh, what did you do?"

    "I may have had a little too much to drink?" she says with a half smile on her face.

    "No, no, okay we need to talk. First of all, I want you to be done with the vodka. You're on medicine for your burns and I don't know for sure but you probably shouldn't be drinking a ton while you're taking pills. Second-"

    "I just won't take my pills then," she interrupts.

    "Eva. That's the exact opposite of what needs to happen. Second. Why the hell do you think you're the cause for the fire? We were literally together." I pause in an awkward moment, remembering what we did together. She, however, doesn't seem to care.

    "You wanna know what I did before that? I cooked. Using the stove. And you heard my dad, they think the stove started it. That was me, Anna, that was fucking me."

    "Oh, Eva, no, it could've been anyone!"

    "Does anyone else like to cook?"

    I'm silent. She has a point.

    "Exactly. It was fucking me. It's my fault. Sab nearly died, Anna, okay, and that's my fault. I did that to her. I did that to myself. I made everyone get sent home, I made all of this chaos happen. Do you know how much my parents had to spend on medical bills? Sab's parents, too? All because of me. So before you try to tell me it wasn't my fault, look at the logic. I. Did. This."

    "Eva..." I'm lost for words.

    "See, Anna? You know I'm right."

    "No. We don't know anything for sure. That's just their best guess. It could've been anything. But if it was the kitchen, and if it was you who last used the kitchen, it was still an accident. You were probably thinking about other things and made a mistake. You didn't do it on purpose. So even if it was you who indirectly caused it, you can't take it to heart."

    She looks down. A tear rolls down her face and my heart breaks for her.

    "You're not gonna understand, Anna."

    "Then help me understand!" 

    "No. I don't want to talk about this. I'm gonna go get food and aspirin, I'll talk to you later." And with that, she reaches over and hangs up on me again.

    I don't understand why she's this upset. I mean, maybe if I were in her position I'd feel the same way, but she didn't try to cause the fire so she really shouldn't be taking this much responsibility.

    Eva's POV:

    I slowly, painfully get myself out of bed and stagger downstairs. My parents are out, luckily- one of the cars is gone from the garage. After eating a bowl of cereal (I refuse to cook right now), I pop a couple of aspirin pills and head back upstairs.

    The mess in my room is disgusting. I know if my parents find it, I'll lose their trust and I'll also lose my access to their alcohol. So I start cleaning up, first putting the vodka bottle downstairs, washing the shot glass and bringing it back up to my room to dry, picking up the things I knocked over. Then I clean up the puke, trying my best to cover my nose and avert my eyes.

    Look at me. I'm a mess. I hurt Sab, I hurt myself, I made Anna upset. I cost mine and Sab's parents thousands of dollars. I cost our management team thousands of dollars. I'm such a fuckup, such a loser.

    I slump against my wall, head in my hands.

    "Fuck you, Eva, you fucking asshole."