The Truth

short one ik but i had to have this cliffhanger

anything specific y'all want to see in the future?
i've got a storyline planned out but if you have any request lmk

*TWO MONTHS LATER*

Anna's POV:

    I sit back, setting my phone down on my desk. Gosh, I miss this girl. We facetime every single day for a few hours, along with regular facetimes with everyone else.

    There hasn't been much news about going back to LA but I really hope we can. The managers are looking for a new house; rebuilding our old one would be too expensive and take a lot longer than anyone wants.

    Being at home has been rough. My mom's been constantly watching over me, paranoid that something is going to happen again. My dad doesn't want me to go back to LA.

    I swear I'm going to be so mad if I'm not allowed to go back. Those girls, I know it was a short time, but they were amazing. And it was so much better than being here at home. The best part? Yeah. Eva.

    Keeping myself busy has been a challenge. I've been talking to a lot of people, lots of facetimes, playing soccer with some hometown friends, hanging out with my brother, etc. I mostly keep in touch with the NACH girls, but also talk to other people. Including the girl I met at the mall, Ag. She's actually pretty cool, we clicked and ended up getting to know each other well.

    I spend most of my days alone in my room. It's been pretty hard on my own, to be honest. Getting a taste of living in LA with everyone and then having to come back home to this shit has been rough. I've felt my mental health- which was already pretty shaky to begin with- start to decline.

    The only in-person human interactions I've had have been really shitty. It's always watching my parents argue, getting upset with my mom because of how overprotective she is now, or something similar. I'm worried about getting worse. I've been in bad places before and I don't want to go back.

    Facetimes with Eva are my main way of escaping. Sometimes we talk a lot, sometimes we do other things in a comfortable silence. Either way, we're together. And that's been really helpful. She reminds me of the good in people, that love can still be pure. Whether that's romantic love or friend love, I don't really know.

    Eva's POV:

    I'm slipping. My body is getting better but my mental health is getting worse. I'm trying so hard not to show it, but the inability to take care of myself has made me so frustrated and turned into such self-hatred. But whatever, who cares.

    My phone rings- Anna. My heart skips a beat, and I momentarily forget my struggles as I grin and pick up the phone.

    "Heyyy, what's up?" she asks, smiling.

    "Not too much, same as every day."

    "Ah, yeah, me too." We talk for probably half an hour before my dad knocks on my door.

    "Hey, E, can I talk to you for a minute?" I glance at Anna and she nods so I tell my dad yes.

    "So, we've finally gotten some more details from LA about the fire. Are you ok to hear stuff about that?"

    "Uh... yeah?"

    "Okay. As you know, pretty much everything was destroyed so there's not too much to go on. But based on the path and intensity of the fire, they think it started in the kitchen. Probably ignited some oil and blew out of proportion. There's no way to really know if that's what happened, but that's the best idea the investigators had. None of you girls smoke or anything, so that's out. It wouldn't be arson or anything intentional. And there were no signs of foul play. So a kitchen accident was what they came up with."

    I'm silent. Dead silent.

    "I'm sorry, E, maybe you weren't ready. That's all, okay? It's over now and everyone is okay. I love you, hun." He gives me a kiss on the head and walks out, shutting my door gently behind him.

I reach forward and hang up the call.

Anna's POV:

    She hung up on me?
    I try calling her back but it goes straight to voicemail after one ring.
    Uh, okay... A kitchen accident caused the fire. So what?

Eva's POV:

    Holy fucking shit.
    I caused the fire.